question

jason-edwards avatar image
jason-edwards asked

Can I parrallel my 2 x 100/50 MPPT chargers ?

I've tried to investigate other answers before asking, but I'm not 100% sure. I think this is relatively simply. Can I parrallel my 2 x 100/50 MPPT's so that I don't have 2 separate cable runs to my Lynx ?

MPPT ControllersMPPT SmartSolar
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
ahtrimble avatar image
ahtrimble answered ·

That is something I would not do. I am paralleling 2 Victron 150/70's but I have each running to a position on my fused Lynx PowerIn. Since it is a good idea to use a larger than reccomended AWG for each controller to begin with, I doubt you are going to find a wire/cable sufficient for the actual load that will also fit the terminals in the CCs.

I suggest you rethink your idea.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·

It's ok to do this, so long as you stay within the cable current limits (mc4 connectors max 30A). You can get Y cables specifically for this.

Personally I'd run two cables to a single input on the Lynx.

0 Likes 0 ·
ahtrimble avatar image ahtrimble kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
The Lynx PowerIn or Distributor is actually made to handle 2 cables of the right size on each of the + & -
0 Likes 0 ·
ahtrimble avatar image
ahtrimble answered ·

Are you trying to parallel your CC's into your system via a Lynx PowerIn or Lynx Distributor?

At some point in your system each CC's wires have to be connected into your system.

What exactly are you trying to do?

1 comment
2 |3000

jason-edwards avatar image jason-edwards commented ·
I have 2 x MPPT CC's and want to join them close to their location (parallel - positive to positive, negative to negative) before running a cable for positive and negative to the Lynx Distributor. Trying to save some cabling and a position on the Lynx.
0 Likes 0 ·
michaeld avatar image
michaeld answered ·

Sure, just make sure the single cable is thick enough to carry 100A - use a voltage drop calculator rather than looking at the wire rating.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

MPPT Product Page

MPPT Error codes

MPPT 150/60 up to 250/70 Manual