question

Richard Pearce avatar image
Richard Pearce asked

Disaster! Aux2 popped on Quattro…is it terminal?

During build up of battery I have wired for the 2 signal BMS and have used this successfully on other installations. With the Aux terminals being in behind the main battery cables I wired the tiny signal wires to the Quattro first and instantly regretted it when the other end touched down onto a battery terminal for a split second sending around 46v into Aux2 with a tiny but audible pop.

Question is, can I assume that Aux 2 is fried (obvs) and just use another input such as the temp input for example, or have I done more damage? I know the safest thing is to pack up the Quattro and send it back for repair or whatever but that’s going to be a lot of work. Doable but I’d rather not go there unless I really have to. Maybe I could replace a card (fault finding machinery repair electrician here. It gets worse) or something within the Quattro under Victron guidance?

Any help appreciated and yes, I’ve now (stable door, horse etc) disconnected the wires from the Aux terminals until I’ve connected the other end.

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Jons Collasius avatar image
Jons Collasius answered ·

Aux 1/2 are digital I/O connections. 5 V would have been the maximum permissible voltage.

The Aux 2 connection is certainly dead. However, I am unsure if this goes directly to the CPU or if there is a layer in between.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Richard Pearce avatar image Richard Pearce commented ·

Thanks for the reply. I guess it all depends if there’s an opto coupler or similar isolation in circuit. It also depends which terminal went down. I think though I am not certain, the wire was connected to the right hand terminal. If the Aux input is referenced to battery -ve, I may have been ‘lucky’ and just blown a PCB track. It happened very quickly. I’ll wait and see if anyone from Victron comes back before I bite the bullet and investigate. It was a tiny pop. Usually when I’ve fried components they tend to take a little time, hiss and let the smoke out with a smell. There was none of this so I’m keeping my fingers crossed that I’ve fried a track not a component.

0 Likes 0 ·
Richard Pearce avatar image
Richard Pearce answered ·

It seems after setting up the Quattro after as close visual inspection as I could manage, Aux 1 appears constantly bridged and Aux 2 is operating correctly as is the Temp input.

I did have trouble updating firmware (didn’t fully complete from the VRM portal and prevented comms until updated with MK3) but I suspect this to be unrelated.

All is operating correctly so far.

2 comments
2 |3000

Richard Pearce avatar image Richard Pearce commented ·
After a day or so operating normally, the Aux 2 now appears open circuit.

Time to bite the bullet and send back for repair.

0 Likes 0 ·
Richard Pearce avatar image Richard Pearce Richard Pearce commented ·

By way of update, I contacted Wind and Sun who supplied the unit and after them contacting Victron UK, was given a return number and the address to send the Quattro to. This happens to be about half hour from me, so I contacted the company, Ecobat, to see if I could drop it off. They were incredibly helpful and said they had vans collecting in my area the following day so I accepted collection. After a few weeks they delivered the repaired unit back to me without any fuss.

Superb service all round. Thanks to Wind and Sun, Victron and Ecobat. 5 stars all round.

0 Likes 0 ·