question

Peter avatar image
Peter asked

is there any way to make the Dynamic Current limiter last longer

HI.

Is there any way to make the dynamic current limiter function to last longer so the inverters reduce the impact load on the generator?

At the moment this function last about 4-5 seconds, it is good for big generators but not good enough for small ones 20-40kVA, moreover when they are cold and also the new stage V generators that can not handle impact loads very well.

It would be really good if the power assist could transfer smoothly the load to the generator for lets say 30 seconds or 1 minute.

Generator
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Ovidiu Stan avatar image Ovidiu Stan commented ·
I also have the same problem. I have 3*Quattro's 15 000 for a 3 phase offgrid system and I have a diesel generator on AC1. The generator is 48 kw, so it should handle all the heavy loads Quattro would require, however, when the load goes quickly from 10-15 kw to 30-35 kw and back, the generator simply stalls and stops, then the load goes to the batteries which cannot handle more than 540 A continuous, and about 750-800 A peak for a short tim (for now I have only 45.9 kw of LiFePo4), so, obviously all sthe system shuts down. I tried everything, with and without Dynamic Current Limiter, with and without PowerAssist, nothing seems to work. I even looked this up in the Node-Red to see if I can modify the time DCL ramps up the load, but I couldn't find it anywhere. So, maybe somebody figured out a way to do this ?
0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
Marc Heymans avatar image
Marc Heymans answered ·

What are the loads on your system that cause the spikes? If they are resistive loads there is not a lot you can do but if they are inductive loads from electric motors, you could install VFD to achieve your goal on the LOAD side

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·
@Peter @Ovidiu Stan

You could lower your input current limit to shave more of the the peak as well.

0 Likes 0 ·
manta avatar image manta Alexandra ♦ commented ·

With Node-red maybe there is a solution. If you lower the current limit and level it up after "X" amout of seconds, the load would be transferred in a less shocking way. If your generator has settings to make it a little more reactive on load thats also a option.

I don't know if you have experience with Node-Red?

Thats something you could try.

I can change that on the AVR, but if this issue is purely mechanical thats not going to change, also turbocharged engines need to make boost before the full load can be accepted. Atmospheric engines are a somewhat more reative, but less efficient. Personaly it can load (okay only 7kva Kohler with Yanmar engine) all load at once, frequency will drop (lower than Victron freq. treshold, and disconnect.) but the generator will come up to speed after a few seconds, if i apply the load directly. (Black smoke, and not good for the engine)

0 Likes 0 ·