Battery discharging to supply loads when solar power is available

Hello,

Devices:

1x Victron Quattro 15000VA

2x Smartsolar 450V 100A

4x Weco 5K3 Battery

1x Cerbo

screenshot-20230304-172804-vrm.jpg

When the battery is full and there is more than enough solar power to supply loads, instead of leave the battery in idle state until is required, the system use the battery for the loads and continuously discharge and charge again the batt moving it between 98% and 100%. "Battery Life" is NOT enabled.

Any idea? Thanks.

ESSLithium Battery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
matt1309 avatar image
matt1309 answered ·

What are you absorption/float voltage settings. Are they maybe quite right?

In my experience the battery is held at float/absorption voltage and MPPT covers the rest of the load when battery is at 100%.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Mario Navarro avatar image Mario Navarro commented ·

Hello, it's a lithium batt with ve.can bms, so those parameters should be ignored. Anyway, they are this:

whatsapp-image-2023-02-14-at-093749.jpeg

0 Likes 0 ·
matt1309 avatar image matt1309 commented ·

What is your battery voltage when this behaviour is happening?

My guess was it was something to do with absorption/float voltages and that the battery voltage was higher than MPPT setting voltages and therefore MPPT wasn't outputing until battery voltage was back below it's threshold. I'm not familiar with BMS controlling those settings so I'm unsure sorry.

However that would be where I'd start checking first. ie the voltage of battery when this is behaviour is occurring and then BMS settings to see if there's a missmatch somewhere causing the behaviour.

0 Likes 0 ·