question

michel avatar image
michel asked

VRM Geofence alarm too early before GPS-fix

Hi all together,

I have a VENUS GX installed on a RaspBerry 3 on my sailingboat with

• USB-GPS
  • USB-Connect to BMV712-smart
  • router with SIM-card for www connection to the VRM Portal .

It is all switched on twice a day for 5 minutes for boot and collecting data and sending data to the VRM Portal. After that time 12V is switched off to save battery power.

Everything works fine every day, but when I switch on the GEOFence-Monitoring I always receive some Alarm-Mails before the Alarm is cleared again. The reason for that is, that the GPS needs 2-3 minutes to fix the position.

Now I need an idea how can I tell VENUS to wait some time to fix the GPS-position before the "unfixed position" is passed to the VRM-Portal ?

Michael

Venus GX - VGX
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi @Michel, what you could try is delay the startup of the gps driver on Venus OS.

You’ll need some linux skills though. And though I’d like to, I can’t guide you through the process.

The driver is started by daemontools. See /services on the device, and google.

Might be tricky btw, because of serial starter not expecting drivers to try detect their device and fail only after a few minutes.

See wiki on venus repo for more background info, and rest of info can be found by reading all the code in various bash scripts

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

There is one other solution, change dbus-gps source code to wait longer initially. See its source code on github.

0 Likes 0 ·
michel avatar image
michel answered ·

Thank you mvader for this idea. I had to install a GPS-driver manually in another project earlier, so there is some basic knowledge in my head :-)

Next step might take some time, because we are on tour with the sailing boat for several weeks now. But I will report the result here.

2 |3000