question

schopp avatar image
schopp asked

Why use welding type cables for DC?

I read the Victron cable and wires booklet and out of curiousity I wanted to know why welding cable are better than rigid AC cables? Is it for ease and comfort of installation? does it conduct DC better?

How do they perform with AC ?

My instinc would tell me that there is less air in a rigid cable so it would offer less resistance, like a busbar.

wiring
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
Galin Radoslavov avatar image
Galin Radoslavov answered ·

Is it possible to send a link?

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

sharpener avatar image
sharpener answered ·

At the current ratings and sizes involved, conventional house wiring cable would be so stiff it would be almost impossible to install in many setttings.

To first order all circular strands will pack with the same proportion of air independent of size, and air is non-conductive so has no effect anyway. It is the cross-sectional area of the copper that matters.

2 |3000

Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

The fewer the strands the stiffer the cable. Welding cable is much easier to handle and places less stress on the terminations especially if there is vibration (mobile systems). Conductivity should not be different.

We use a similar wire in portable AC wiring. It’s called “entertainment cable”. High strand works fine here also.

High strand wire also works better with crimp connectors.

2 |3000

christianf avatar image
christianf answered ·

Hi, please note that the welding cables like H01N2-D are mostly limited to 100VDC because of their isolation. If you want to use flexible cable on the AC side, you should look for H05V-K (or H07V-K which might be better available).

2 |3000

Michelle Konzack avatar image
Michelle Konzack answered ·

Or even H05V-F or H07V-F which have much finer strands and are VERY flexible.

2 |3000

Related Resources