question

mike-bateman avatar image
mike-bateman asked

Rescue Cerbo GX from white screen - Installed SerialBattery while on SW2.77

Hello. Earlier this week I attempted to Install SerialBattery on my CerboGX. I failed to read step 1 of the directions which advised to update firmware to 2.9. Now I have the white screen. I tried the forced reset with the SD card, and now I have lost my superuser status and cannot SSH into the device to update the firmware. I have connected to the CerboGX with the Serial-USB adapter, but I cannot figure out how to talk to the device to force it to update.

Sorry for my lack of experience. I appreciate the help.

Attached is what populates on startup in the terminal window using screen on my computer. This part near the bottom seemed suspicious to me:

Checking available software versions...
Active rootfs: 1
Active version: 20220419072633 v2.77
Filesystem errors detected on backup rootfs
/etc/rc5.d/S99custom-rc-late.sh: line 5: /data/rc.local: No such file or directory

MB CERBO GX.txt

cerbo gxmodifications
mb-cerbo-gx.txt (25.3 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
bonzai avatar image
bonzai answered ·

Hello, the superuser must be reactivated in the remote console and the password reassigned, then you will have full access again. As far as I know, this has to be done with every update.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mike-bateman avatar image mike-bateman commented ·
Thanks for the reply. With the white screen, it seems like a fools errand to try to set up superuser status.

Was hoping somebody had some insight on Serial Uart communication with the device.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Cerbo GX product page

GX family product range

Cerbo GX & GX Touch datasheet

Cerbo GX Manual

Venus root access document

Experiments, Modifications and Adaptions. Mods (Modifications) can be made to Victron Software by the Community. Please use the modifications space for enthusiasts who want to push what is possible, without official Victron Support.