question

menningd avatar image
menningd asked

Multiplus 12/3000/120 Input Capacitance

I have seen this question come up but haven't found an official answer. I'm looking for the total capacitance connected to the DC bus of my Multiplus so I can size an automated pre-charge circuit. I partially removed the panels and found an array of 18,000uF 24V capacitors. But I would have to dissemble much more to be able to study how exactly they were connected together-it’s difficult to see with how much circuitry is packed in there. I'm not sure why Victron doesn’t include this in the technical specs since it is well known how important a pre-charge is when using a contactor for disconnect. I know most people do this with a 10-30 Ohm power resistor and a ~10s timed relay. But I have the opportunity to do this much quicker with fewer parts and logic control– just need the value of the capacitance.

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
menningd avatar image
menningd answered ·

For anyone searching for this answer in the future... I broke down and dissembled the multi to get a good view. There is an array of 10x 18,000uF capacitors all connected in parallel across the DC bus. So total capacitance is 180,000 uF. Then i found a .pdf online called "Explanation of Inverter DC Capacitance and Inrush Current" which also references the .18F value for the Multi 3000W

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.