question

giant-withlittles avatar image
giant-withlittles asked

I have 4 100 watt panels from Renogy, would the Victron 100/30 mppt charger be a good fit?

Currently I have a 40 amp Renogy charger but it has been acting up and I was thinking of replacing it with the Victron 100/30 mppt charge controller. Should I go for the 35A controller instead or would the 100/30 be adequate?

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

You haven't given us enough information to answer. But better for you to use the online MPPT calculator.

https://www.victronenergy.com/mppt-calculator

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

A 12 volt battery bank would limit power to a little over 360 watts. You MIGHT get more than that out of your panels on a very good day with optimum angle to the sun. For a 24 or 48 volt battery system the panels would limit the maximum power since the 100|30 would do 30 amps at 24/48 volts (720/1,400 watts).

A series connection of the 4 panels would exceed the 100|30 maximum input voltage at low temps. Series/parallel or full parallel would work.

So ... could be a good fit.

2 comments
2 |3000

giant-withlittles avatar image giant-withlittles commented ·
Thanks, I do have a 12 Volt Battery bank and currently have the panels wired in Series/ parallel like you mentioned. Still kinda of newbie in all of this.
0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ giant-withlittles commented ·

@Giant Withlittles

You can run your panel specs through the calculator here. So you can check.

I had for a while 4 x 150W trina panels on my 100/30 all in series on a 12v system. But they are much older panels.

0 Likes 0 ·
Michelle Konzack avatar image
Michelle Konzack answered ·

Is it a mobile installation or fixed?

What system voltage (12-24-48) do you use)?

Where are you located?

Do you have often cloudy weather?

If it is a fixed installation and you want to get the maximum out of the panels, I assume that the panels have a Voc of 22V, I suggest you to go with a 150V MPPT (output current depend on the system voltage) and put all 4 panels in series, but be careful with shadowing.

2 |3000

trsvax avatar image
trsvax answered ·

I have exactly that series/parallel on an Airstream roof. Just so happens I was watching yesterday and I saw a peak of 406 watts and 29.4 amps into a battery with a voltage of 13.5. That's pretty much at the max for panels and MPPT I think. The average is much lower since with that install the panels are rarely pointed in an optimal direction.

FYI: Most I've ever seen from the panels is 410 watts.

2 |3000

astrayan avatar image
astrayan answered ·

a 30A MPPT is good for 14.4V x 30A = 432W.

The panels are good for 320W

2 |3000