question

jterrag avatar image
jterrag asked

Stuck at 50A charging current with a multiplus 48/5000/70-100

Hi.

As written in the title, with my multiplus 48/5000/70-100 I've never been able to
se charging currents above 50A. It might get to 52A but just briefly.
This is not a limitation imposed by the pylontech batteries whose Charge Current Limit is
always at 222A until the SOC gets close to 100%. And even at, say, 97% SOC the CCL is still
at 88A, so well above what I get from the multiplus.
Obviously the "limit charge current" setting in the DVCC is not active.

Any ideas?

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @jterrag

Have you checked the Charge Current value set in the Multi itself? Don't expect it to come with the default set at 70A, it's usually down around what you experience. 55A from my memory of long ago..

4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jterrag avatar image jterrag commented ·
Are we talking about a setting that can be accessed only with the mk3-usb or also by using the Cerbo? If it is mk3-usb-only then maybe you're onto something because I didn't mess much with those settings since I knew that the Cerbo would have taken control of the multiplus.

0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ jterrag commented ·

With a Mk3 via victron connect or veconfigure. The AC limit is probably hard-set to 50A.

The inverter must still be manually setup, as per the pylon guide. When the GX stops or is restarted the chargers revert to manual and you will have a problem if defaults are set.

Same applies to MPPT's etc.

1 Like 1 ·
jterrag avatar image jterrag nickdb ♦♦ commented ·

Are you talking about section 5 of this guide ? Because I read there that "The following information is provided for that purpose, though is not required for the safe operation of the system." and so I didn't modify much of it.

But, sure, it seems a good thing to do. As soon as I can turn off the multiplus I'll connect it to the mk3 and I'll make the modifications.

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ jterrag commented ·
@jterrag

It's MK3 or VRM/VE.Configure access.

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

AC Input current limit? Manual DVCC charge current limit?

4 comments
2 |3000

jterrag avatar image jterrag commented ·
AC Input current limit is 32A (230V) so that's not the bottleneck.

About the DVCC charge current limit, as I wrote above that setting is not active. However, after my original post I tried to activate it so that the field with the Amps would appear. And, suspiciously, that field default to 50A, not 70A or 60A. So it seems to take that value from somewhere.

Also, I tried to raise it to 55A, and the system seemed to accept it, but then the charge current again didn't go above 50A.

0 Likes 0 ·
Charger limits? There is a separate limit under the charger tab.
0 Likes 0 ·
jterrag avatar image jterrag nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
I'm still talking about settings that are accessible through the cerbo. As soon as I can turn off the multiplus I'll use the mk3 to look at the other settings.
0 Likes 0 ·
It can be online, just disconnect the GX, it will default to internal settings which may or may not be a problem.

If you use victron connect these settings can be changed online as well (most anyway) without a restart.

0 Likes 0 ·
jterrag avatar image
jterrag answered ·

Based on all the comments above, as soon as I can stop the multiplus I'll connect it to mk3 and take a look at its settings and see if there's something stuck at 50A.

2 |3000

jterrag avatar image
jterrag answered ·

This is also something I had doubts about: should I turn off and then on the multiplus each time I go from having it attached to the Cerbo to attaching it to the mk3? (and viceversa when I go back to the Cerbo). OBVIOUSLY all of this would be done with AC-in disconnected.

So far, to be safe, I've always done it that way.

1 comment
2 |3000

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
Properly configured there is no need to do this. GX’s are restarted/updated many times across a vast install base, without issues.
0 Likes 0 ·