question

morres83 avatar image
morres83 asked

Node Red: how to change ESS mode "keep batteries charged" and "optimized w/o Bat. life"

I am wondering if there is any way to change between the ESS modes "Keep batteries charged" and "Optimized (without battery life)" from Node Red.

The com.victronenergy.settings -> ESS Mode Node seems not capable of doing it. In fact, with this one it seems I can only switch between "external control" and "Optimized with battery life".

Thanks,

morres

ESSNode-RED
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
fish avatar image
fish answered ·

Yes you can, it is ESS System Setting Node and select System setting under State and then ESS State under measurement. You can then see the list avaliable as follows:

Value types

1 - BatteryLife enabled (GUI controlled)
2 - Optimized Mode /w BatteryLife: self consumption
3 - Optimized Mode /w BatteryLife: self consumption, SoC exceeds 85%
4 - Optimized Mode /w BatteryLife: self consumption, SoC at 100%
5 - Optimized Mode /w BatteryLife: SoC below dynamic SoC limit
6 - Optimized Mode /w BatteryLife: SoC has been below SoC limit for more than 24 hours. Charging the battery (5A)
7 - Optimized Mode /w BatteryLife: Inverter/Charger is in sustain mode
8 - Optimized Mode /w BatteryLife: recharging, SoC dropped by 5% or more below the minimum SoC
9 - 'Keep batteries charged' mode is enabled
10 - Optimized mode w/o BatteryLife: self consumption, SoC at or above minimum SoC
11 - Optimized mode w/o BatteryLife: self consumption, SoC is below minimum SoC
12 - Optimized mode w/o BatteryLife: recharging, SoC dropped by 5% or more below minimum SoC

So if you inject 9 it will keep batteries charged then inject 10 etc after 5 hours it will charge the batteries for 5 hours and keep at 100%..

I'm trying to tie this to solar forecasting..

Hope that helps.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

morres83 avatar image
morres83 answered ·

Thanks for this answer.

For me, this list more or less sounds as a current state of the system. Therefore I didn't expect that they can be written also. In fact I still don't know what the system does differently when setting 10, 11 or 12. I guess I can switch to "Optimized w/o battery life" (which is the answer to my question, so thank you), but the second part of the the explanation doesn't make much sense to me. The battery will be in either of these states, so interesting for readout only.....and not for setting them.

2 comments
2 |3000

dansonamission avatar image dansonamission commented ·
Did you try this? I came here to ask the same question.
0 Likes 0 ·
hominidae avatar image hominidae dansonamission commented ·

...I am using this via mqtt via an external Node-Red instance on my central server...works like a charm.

See also: https://github.com/victronenergy/venus/wiki/dbus#ess-formerly-called-hub-4

0 Likes 0 ·