question

billouk avatar image
billouk asked

Booting venus OS on a raspberry pi from eMMC

Hello,

I tried several time to boot from an eMMC on a raspberry pi 3B with no success.
It's a RasPiKey from UUGEAR : https://www.uugear.com/product/raspikey-plug-and-play-emmc-module-for-raspberry-pi/

It seems that venus OS can't boot from such a device.
Is it possible to add support for eMMC on venus OS ?

For your interest, raspberry pi OS boot from eMMC as it should do on an SDCard.

Thank you for your reponses.
Grégory.

Raspberry Pi
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
bathnm avatar image
bathnm answered ·

@billouk Just looking at the link, there should be nothing stoping this from working. If it truly does work like an SD card then as long as you have copied the VenusOS image onto it, it should work.

I do not have one to test so am purely going on the fact that the web site says

RasPiKey is a 16GB/32GB eMMC module that can be inserted into Raspberry Pi’s micro SD card slot. It works like a micro SD card

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

billouk avatar image
billouk answered ·

With raspberry pi OS, it work like an sdcard !

I tried several venus OS images with no boot success.
The green LED on the raspberry pi doesn't blink at all.

After some research, eMMC support seems to be kernel dependant. I don't know if the openembedded linux kernel support it.

2 |3000

bathnm avatar image
bathnm answered ·

@billouk I suspect that there will be boot loader issues as well.

2 |3000

billouk avatar image
billouk answered ·

@Bathnm , You are probably right.
After some research, it could be boot sector dependant... but i'm way out of my area of expertise.

It's too bad because eMMC has many advantages.

Thank you for your responses.

2 |3000