question

gexle avatar image
gexle asked

Guimods - Venus OS Watt display stops

Hello Kevin

Check out the video, is that ok?

Every now and then the Watt display stops, then after a few seconds it continues.

I have no transmission errors.

GuiMods V7.15

Thanks

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mgaxseteba8b1wg/20230213_103403.mp4?dl=0

gui mods
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

9 Answers
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

Not sure what's going on unless the system is getting overloaded. It's also possible the values stabilized and weren't actually changing.

Check to see if this happens with GuiMods not installed.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

gexle avatar image
gexle answered ·

Hello Kevin

I tried it without Guimods, everything works fine... and also the RPI4 is not busy at all!
Is there any way to run an error logger and see what could be causing it?

Since I installed the relays I can observe the following. As soon as the display stops, so the performance as above has increased and I have a relay at the same time, for example. 3 wants to switch on manually, nothing reacts. As soon as the performance changes again, the relay that I want to switch on reacts... i.e. the ON button

Thank you

2 |3000

gexle avatar image
gexle answered ·

Kevin, is there anything you can do to get to the bottom of the cause? Log the whole thing or something?

2 |3000

Kevin Windrem answered ·

Most things create logs. They are all in /data/log.

/data/log/gui/current might provide a clue especially if GuiMods is somehow dragging things down.

The command line 'top' command will show you which processes are taking the most time. Might be a clue.

dbus-spy might provide a clue as it will display values independent of the GUI. If values continue to update there when the GUI values freeze, then this points to the gui thread hanging. The gui service is more than the GUI. It includes some of the system I/O like CANbus. May be others.

dbus-spy will also allow you to change relay states. go to com.victronenergy.system and scroll down to Relay/0/State (and the others). You can then change the value between 0 and 1. If the relay changes state immediately, then this also points to the gui thread. If this is slow also, then it may be the dbus-systemcalc-py service is hanging.

You can manually revert back to the Victron version of systemcalc:

rm /opt/victronenergy/dbus-systemcalc-py/dbus-systemcalc.py 
mv /opt/victronenergy/dbus-systemcalc-py/dbus-systemcalc.py.orig /opt/victronenergy/dbus-systemcalc-py/dbus-systemcalc.py
reboot  

After your test, reinstall GuiMods

If you have any hat boards installed, try removing them and uninstalling related drivers.

2 |3000

gexle avatar image
gexle answered ·

Thank you Kevin

I don't want to completely erase or uninstall my system.
Which logs should I post where you might see or recognize something?
Maybe we can see it from the logs...

As I said, except for the stopper, I'll say it works without any problems! But you can see where the performance number is at the top that the voltage and current change at the bottom...

thank you in advance

2 |3000

Kevin Windrem answered ·

Go to Settings / Package manager / Backup and restore

Insert a USB memory stick and tap o Backup.

You'll find a logs.zip on the memory stick

Post that as a new issue at:https://github.com/kwindrem/GuiMods/issues

2 |3000

gexle avatar image
gexle answered ·

Where is this backup stored on the SD card? Then I can copy it down there. I can't connect a USB stick, everything is occupied, but I can copy the backup via WINSCP...

2 |3000

Kevin Windrem answered ·

If you are running the latest SetupHelper, you can backup to /data using Backup to local storage

2 |3000

gexle avatar image
gexle answered ·

I have an SDD on the RPI4 I have now selected and executed backup to local storage so that the backup or all data should be on the SSD.. I have to turn it on with WINSCP tomorrow and see where the folder is on the SDD!

So far I've saved everything on the SD shouldn't it also be found under Data/Backups?

I'll upload it tomorrow then. Thank you for your time and effort

Thanks very much

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic