question

Juraj Nikolov avatar image
Juraj Nikolov asked

Correct SPD for mppt 250/100

Hi,

I want to consult:
which SPD from Citel to use for mppt 250/100 and input voltage 240V from PV (DC) ???

Is it suitable to use DS240S-220DC? Am I understanding correctly that if this SPD has value a Uc of 275V and if an overvoltage occurs, the SPD will leav flowing 275V into the MPPT?
Or should I rearrange the wiring of the PV field, to reduce the voltage up to 160V and use the SPD from Citel DS240S-130DC, which has a Uc of 180V?

Thanks for the guidance and help ;)

MPPT Controllersspd
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Juraj Nikolov

It is more about understanding why you want it used in your system.

By overvoltage in what scenario? This should not happen during normal production if array is sized correctly even with cloud edge effect. So the SPD is not meant to be sized for ''saving" equipment from that.

If now you have lightning and that is what you are aiming at protecting wiring fires and dangerous voltages to humans in the system. Then even the one that start clamping voltage at 275v will be fine.

You can use the lower one, but then you are consuming it during normal use if you size your PV VOC higher than the 180v and it will need to be replaced more often if during normal use it is being triggered.

6 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Juraj Nikolov avatar image Juraj Nikolov commented ·

@Alexandra

Hi,

I want to use it as a protection against inductive overvoltage during storms, not as overvoltage protection oversized PV :) (that no sense, to do that).
I am not sure about that Uc=275V in this case can voltage damage the mppt, thats the point of my question.

I understan it good, that the voltage reachedd over 275V (Uc) will be grounded, or voltage over (Un=220V)

What I want to do: cables are 20m long from PV to MPPT.
After 10m I want to insert SPD (Un=500V, Up=4kV) and before MPPT (next 10m) SPD (Un220 Uc275 Up0.9kV or Un130,Uc180,Up0.5kV)

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ Juraj Nikolov commented ·
@Juraj Nikolov

Slightly above is fine.

See this article here, its about the simplest explanation i have found.

The mppt can possibly be damaged by overvoltage that much is stated in the manuals. But it is transient. And that being said from experience, we live in a high strike area and have not had an issue to date and have a much higher than max voltage rated SPD.

0 Likes 0 ·
Juraj Nikolov avatar image Juraj Nikolov Alexandra ♦ commented ·

@Alexandra

Thanks for advice. Basically, I'll summarize it both according to the link and according to what I write, so it is ideal to use an SPD that has a Uc voltage as close as possible to the max. voltage PV input for MPPT.

Ideal = not higher :)

Thanks.

0 Likes 0 ·
@Juraj Nikolov

The key is operating voltages.

So your VOC is the key since the PV does not operate above that. Even if the equipment can do 250v max you are not likely to be running the VOC there.

But sometimes supplies are what they are the 275v will have to do at the end of the day.

Remember that while we don't want our equipment to be killed, it is people/life (and to some extent this includes the wiring) we need to protect above all else.

0 Likes 0 ·
Juraj Nikolov avatar image Juraj Nikolov Alexandra ♦ commented ·

@Alexandra

Yes I count with VOC from PV. More Volts as via VOC is possible to get on wiring only from induction (near lightning strike, EMP :P etc.)

I try to find the best way to protect property, life, etc. (via SPDs).

In this case I wat to use cascade od SPD each 10m on PV wiring (20m).

Examlpe:

#1 PV -> 10m SPD1 (Uc500V,Up4kV) -> 10m SPD2 (Uc180~200V,Up0.9kV) -max 0.5m Mppt 250/100.

#2 If I should 30m PV wiring:

PV -> 10m SPD1 (Uc1000V,Up3.8kV)-> 10m SPD2 (Uc500V,Up4kV) -> 10m SPD3 (Uc180~200V,Up0.9kV) -max 0.5m Mppt 250/100.

0 Likes 0 ·

I assume that you have no local regulations? Usually there are tables and recommendation from them?

One within 10m of the array.

One within 10m of the equipment - That should be enough.

If you worry about direct strikes then you need both type 1 and type 2 spds.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

MPPT Product Page

MPPT Error codes

MPPT 150/60 up to 250/70 Manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic