question

alaskannoob avatar image
alaskannoob asked

How to get VE.CAN to connect MPPT-RS to Cerbo GX?

I have a SmartSolar 450/200-Tr MPPT powered on through the DC bus (no PV installed). I have a Cerbo GX powered on through the DC bus. I have an RJ45 connected to the VE.CAN bus on the MPPT, and a terminator in the empty spot, that runs to the VE.CAN bus of the Cerbo GX with a terminator in its empty slot.

I'm connected to the Cerbo GX on my laptop using WiFi. I run Venus.local and the MPPT does not show up in the device list. I run the Victron Connect app and it does not show up.

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong? I swapped the RJ45 cable and that didn't fix the issue. I updated the firmware in the Cerbo GX (went from 2.8 to 2.92) and while that finally made the Cerbo GX show up in the Victron Connect app, it did not make the MPPT show up.

I have another 450/200 in a box I can swap out to test it, to see if it works with the VE.CAN bus. I have no VE.DIRECT cable and bluetooth connection to this MPPT isn't supported from Windows.cerbo-to-mppt-vecan.jpg

smart solar set-up help
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@AlaskanNoob

If it is not the obvious like incorrect port (yes this happens-not an issue on yours from what i can see), and a cable issue as suggested by @poconnor ....

Check your bit rate for the CAN connection.

It should be at 250kbs.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

alaskannoob avatar image alaskannoob commented ·
That did the trick. For anybody following, you go into Venus.local on your Cerbo GX, then select Settings->Services>VE.Can and then you'll get a list of options. Mine was set to 500kbps so when I changed that, the MPPT started showing up. The MPPT doesn't show up on Victron Connect though. I'm not sure how to update the firmware of the MPPT, but once I try that, it may show up in Victron Connect.

Thanks Alexandra!

0 Likes 0 ·
Patrick avatar image
Patrick answered ·

I would double check your RJ45 cables, it's possible you got some crossover cables very rare these days but possible. Crossover cables will not effect most modern Ethernet network equipment as most ports will auto crossover to fix the crossover problem. 2 wrongs make a right.

Slide the boot back and check the pinout is straight through

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

| | | | | | | |

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

t03AQ.jpg

t03aq.jpg (17.4 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

alaskannoob avatar image alaskannoob commented ·

Thanks, I'll pull it out and check. Both of the cables I tried are Victron cables so I would guess they are correct but I will check.rj45.jpg

0 Likes 0 ·
rj45.jpg (2.0 MiB)

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic