question

alaskannoob avatar image
alaskannoob asked

How to get VE.CAN to connect MPPT-RS to Cerbo GX?

I have a SmartSolar 450/200-Tr MPPT powered on through the DC bus (no PV installed). I have a Cerbo GX powered on through the DC bus. I have an RJ45 connected to the VE.CAN bus on the MPPT, and a terminator in the empty spot, that runs to the VE.CAN bus of the Cerbo GX with a terminator in its empty slot.

I'm connected to the Cerbo GX on my laptop using WiFi. I run Venus.local and the MPPT does not show up in the device list. I run the Victron Connect app and it does not show up.

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong? I swapped the RJ45 cable and that didn't fix the issue. I updated the firmware in the Cerbo GX (went from 2.8 to 2.92) and while that finally made the Cerbo GX show up in the Victron Connect app, it did not make the MPPT show up.

I have another 450/200 in a box I can swap out to test it, to see if it works with the VE.CAN bus. I have no VE.DIRECT cable and bluetooth connection to this MPPT isn't supported from Windows.cerbo-to-mppt-vecan.jpg

smart solar set-up help
6 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Andrew Burnett avatar image Andrew Burnett commented ·
I have a very similar issue. My ESS has been setup for years and working well. Multi Plus II with LG Chem batteries.

Today I have added a MPPT RS 100, and same issue, not showing up.

Reading the comments here I have had a look at the CAN speed and like yours it was set at the default of 500. If I change this to "VE.Can and CAN-bus BMS 250" the MPPT does show up briefly but the major problem is the battery can no longer communicate, can't be seen by the colour GX resulting in the batteries turning off due to loss of communication.

Is this a known issue? I'm thinking I'll have to connect the MPPT via a VE direct cable and not use the CAN bus.

0 Likes 0 ·
pwfarnell avatar image pwfarnell Andrew Burnett commented ·
@Andrew Burnett @Alex Pescaru Do you mean Colour Control GX because that has only one Can Bus and it can only operate at a single speed, either 500kbps or 250kbps so you can not have w different speed devices attached. You should use VE Direct as you have surmised. As noted above, a Cerbo GX has two Can Bus systems and can operate them at different speeds.
1 Like 1 ·
Andrew Burnett avatar image Andrew Burnett pwfarnell commented ·

Thank you for confirming, I'll get a VE direct cable on order.

Much appreciated, Andrew

0 Likes 0 ·
Alex Pescaru avatar image Alex Pescaru Andrew Burnett commented ·

Sorry... ignore my reply above...

The fact that the picture above is of a Cerbo and the fact that you've started the message with "I have a similar issue", led me to believe you also have a Cerbo and I miss the "color GX" later.

1 Like 1 ·
Andrew Burnett avatar image Andrew Burnett Alex Pescaru commented ·

Not a problem at all, if my colour GX ever fails I think I'll be replacing it with a Cerbo as it does seem to have more features, didn't need them when I first started out, but as time goes on I want to do more and more :)

Thank you for your response

Andrew

1 Like 1 ·
Alex Pescaru avatar image Alex Pescaru Andrew Burnett commented ·

Use Cerbo's BMS.Can port for battery as it only knows 500kbps.

Daisy chain the MPPT, MultiPlus II and Cerbo on Cerbo's VE.Can port configured as VE.Can and Lynx Ion at 250kbps.

cerbo.jpg

0 Likes 0 ·
cerbo.jpg (28.5 KiB)
2 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@AlaskanNoob

If it is not the obvious like incorrect port (yes this happens-not an issue on yours from what i can see), and a cable issue as suggested by @poconnor ....

Check your bit rate for the CAN connection.

It should be at 250kbs.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

alaskannoob avatar image alaskannoob commented ·
That did the trick. For anybody following, you go into Venus.local on your Cerbo GX, then select Settings->Services>VE.Can and then you'll get a list of options. Mine was set to 500kbps so when I changed that, the MPPT started showing up. The MPPT doesn't show up on Victron Connect though. I'm not sure how to update the firmware of the MPPT, but once I try that, it may show up in Victron Connect.

Thanks Alexandra!

0 Likes 0 ·
Patrick avatar image
Patrick answered ·

I would double check your RJ45 cables, it's possible you got some crossover cables very rare these days but possible. Crossover cables will not effect most modern Ethernet network equipment as most ports will auto crossover to fix the crossover problem. 2 wrongs make a right.

Slide the boot back and check the pinout is straight through

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

| | | | | | | |

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

t03AQ.jpg

t03aq.jpg (17.4 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

alaskannoob avatar image alaskannoob commented ·

Thanks, I'll pull it out and check. Both of the cables I tried are Victron cables so I would guess they are correct but I will check.rj45.jpg

0 Likes 0 ·
rj45.jpg (2.0 MiB)

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic