question

tobyc avatar image
tobyc asked

Orion-Tr 48/12-9A Has the hardware or firmware changed?

I bought an Orion-Tr 48/12-9A (SN: HQ2113GTR6C) along with a Victron Multiplus, Cerbo etc to create an initial prototype prior to going into production with it all on a product we will produce using them. The DC to DC Orion is to supply power to a 12.8V 22AH LiFePO4 battery to act as a back up for the comms systems if the main batteries get low/shutdown. The main batteries are a 48 volt system on LiFePO4 and hence the Orion.

I've been testing the Orion to do this for the last 4 months and it has worked perfectly, it recovers the over discharged LiFePO4 if that ever happens and recharges it to my trimmed voltage limit set on the Orion, current tails off to nothing from a steady 9A and it supports the loads while their is available main batteries.

However I then bought six more units (SN: HQ2126K3QQ9) for pre production of our systems and they are not working the same, if you play with connecting and disconnecting then reconnecting the output it does work but the current shoots up from the 9A it should be limited to, to up to 15 amps sometimes. If I fit a diode in line the problem almost cures where it prevents the DC to DC seeing the battery as it were so current flows normally, however it is still putting out more than 9A according to my DC clamp meter.

How do I get stock of the right DC to DC converters that were working perfectly?

I note the instructions say not to be used as a battery charger but your web information here shows use doing exactly that:Booklet-Off-Grid-System-EN.pdf (victronenergy.com)

1675863473539.png

Orion DC-DC Converters not smart
1675863473539.png (108.0 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

0 Answers