question

patrick-flynn avatar image
patrick-flynn asked

SmartSolar MPPT chargers begin BULK mode when MultiPlus-II 3000-50 2x120 in FLOAT

I understand the SmartSolar chargers will go into BULK charge when they wake up in the morning and the PV voltage increases. This is what you would want if you don't have any AC Input. However the MultiPlus-II 3000-50 120x2 is maintaining the FLOAT voltage overnight when the SmartSolar chargers wake up and start charging in BULK mode. The MultiPlus continues to indicate it is in FLOAT. This can go on for some time >1hrs. if it is a cloudy day and the absorption voltage is not reached (cloudy day). They could be sitting at 14.5v for an extended amount of time. Might this be hard on the lithium batteries? Maybe I don't have something configured correctly.

Multiplus-II 3000-50 2x120, SmartSolar 150/85 MPPT (x2), Smartshunt 500a and a Cerbo-GX with remote display.

Firmware is up to date on all components. The Cerbo-GX sees all other components.

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Patrick Flynn

If you have ESS assistant installed, this is correct and a desired state.

You want the charge controllers to be in bulk to cover loads rather than cycle the batteries up and down to trigger re bulk and then the mppts produce again.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

patrick-flynn avatar image patrick-flynn commented ·

Thank you for your reply Alexanda. I do not have an ESS assistant active on this installation for my RV.

0 Likes 0 ·
patrick-flynn avatar image patrick-flynn commented ·
Added ESS module to the Multiplus-II and configured it to 'Keep batteries charged'. Thank you Alexandra. The SmartSolar MPPT chargers are now tracking with the Multiplus-II.
0 Likes 0 ·