question

iand avatar image
iand asked

Parallel/redundant operation with 2 Quattro II 48/5000

Since the Quattro II 48/10000 isn't available, I plan to install 2 Quattro II 48/5000 in parallel (or get my boatbuilder to do it, who is a certified Victron installer) controlled by a Cerbo GX.

I know about how they need to be installed and configured (master/slave), but it's not clear how/whether you can use only one, for example to give redundancy in case one fails, or to reduce quiescent draw when power requirements are low.

Is it possible to just turn one (the slave?) off -- and if so, how (with the hardware switch on the unit?), or will the system then signal a fault?

If the system is reconfigured to from master/slave to a single unit, what has to be disconnected/isolated on the unused one -- mains inputs (shore and generator), 48V bus, 230V outputs, or all of the above?

Can this reconfiguration be done from the Cerbo or does it need to be done from a PC via the VE.bus and a smart dongle or USB interface?

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
iand avatar image
iand answered ·

I guess nobody knows then... :-(

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

When configured as parallel they are one unit in a M/S config. They are not redundant, a failure of one takes the whole system down, requiring a manual reconfigure to return to service as standalone with a mk3 interface and veconfigure on a windows laptop or VC app on a suitable device, Cerbo can't do it.

You can't turn one off either.

All well documented in the parallel systems document.

1 comment
2 |3000

iand avatar image iand commented ·
Thanks -- I understand they're not redundant in the sense of automatic failover, just in the sense that if one dies you can disconnect it and use just the other one. I thought reconfiguration would be needed, VC would be easier.

What isn't clear from the parallel systems document (which I have read) is what you have to physically disconnect in this case, because it's not an intended use -- we all know that Victron equipment never fails... ;-)

0 Likes 0 ·