question

marcus67 avatar image
marcus67 asked

Multiplus II GX as UPS

Hi,

I want to use a Multiplus II 48/3000 GX together with a Pylontech Battery as a UPS in South Africa. The Pylontech battery will be connected to the Multiplus via CAN.

South Africa currently has a huge problem with the power stations. Therefore they have load shedding in place and the power is turned off 2-3 times a day for 2h.

My question is how to configure the Multiplus II. For now we won't be using solar panels, however that will be an option for the future. The essential loads will be connected to AC out 1.

For now the Multiplus II will be used just as an UPS for the essential loads.

I have a couple questions regarding this setup:

1. Which grid code should be used? "South Africa" or "None" as I obviously don't want any backfeed to the grid from the battery.

2. Should the ESS assistant be installed? I don't think it's really needed as I do not want to store energy. Or are there advantages when ESS is installed?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Marcus

Multiplus-II
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

dorothychi avatar image dorothychi commented ·
Hi Marcus

How is the Multiplus II GX as UPS solution for loadshedding working for you? I'm in Johannesburg and dreading Winter 2023.

Cheers

Dorothy

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

You don't need any assistants, the UPS feature should be on by default.

Have a read through the inverter and GX docs, should fill in some gaps.

No grid codes needed as you're not running ESS.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.