question

greylady avatar image
greylady asked

Victron muliplus ripple shutdown

Hi All,

I have a Victron Multiplus 12/3000/120 on our boat connected to shore power (240V although probably closer to 220V) and three 110AH 12V leisure batteries. The typical background power draw during the day is 218W (fridge, freezer etc). It all used to work perfectly. Although we're hooked up to shore power 99.9% of the time so the inverter became a glorified battery charger. (the lights, water pump etc run directly from the 12V batteries.) However, we moved the boat and i tried to boil a kettle whilst not connected to shore power (1.7Kw should be well within the 3Kw) It got part way through the boil and then shut down. Since then, were back in a marina on shore power but with the switch in 'Charger only' position, i get mains on, float and inverter on LED's lit briefly before getting overload and low battery LED's lit constant before shuting down. With the switch in the 'On' position, i get mains on, float and inverter on LED's lit briefly before it shuts down. I disconnected and checked each of the three leisure batteries voltage (12.1V each), and the load at 240V (218W). The fixed wiring on the boat including battery connections hasn't changed. (battery leads are very heavy duty). I tried substituting another Multiplus 12/3000/120 and it showed the same symptoms.

any ideas would be gratefully received.

Multiplus-II
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

Hi There, If its shutting down due to DC ripple, then its most likely cause by your batteries being on there last legs

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/_media/ve.bus:4._ripple_in_a_ac_battery_system.pdf

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi Greylady. I think you're just expecting too much of your batts. I have roughly 3 times that batt capacity on my ac supply bank and wouldn't attempt that. Newish batts, flooded Pb's cos they're pretty tolerant, but no I don't do it. Full VRM logging, and I can see the results when I do - frightening V-sag.

Note too that 12.1V doesn't mean your batts are fully charged either. If I see mine that low, I go looking for the reason (if I don't know it already). 12.6V for a 'standing' batt is roughly fully charged.

Those batts may well be capable of cranking an engine for a few seconds, but for a few minutes maybe 700W? Very!! rough figure, but it puts your kettle out of the ballpark. That's with good batts, sick ones it gets worse.. Sorry..

2 |3000