question

carl-meek avatar image
carl-meek asked

Problem with Three Phase Mode 3 ESS

I have a brand new installation of 3x Quattro 15000/200-2x100. They are connected to Pylontech using the GX device CAN. I’m using ESS Mode 3, and sending set points using MODBUS/TCP to the GX Device.

Everything works well in my code - I have a complete log of the set points which are sent every few seconds. I also read the MODBUS registers back to make sure they worked - it takes 2-3 seconds before the change value takes affect, but then it confirms OK.

As per the Manual I'm settings registers 37-41.

The general problem is simply that the Quattros are not doing as they are told. I'm getting strange results - such as 2 out of 3 phases all charging nicely and the third doing nothing. Also, when trying to run the inverter and discharge the battery (by setting grid set point to zero) - it just ignores me and does nothing.

On the GX touch screen, everything seems fine - battery and units are happy.

It keeps going into DISCHARGING Mode (Rather than External Control) on the main touch status screen. It then discharges at 150w into the battery. However when I go into the GX Menu the status clearly says "EXT CONTROL"

I just tried a forced charge with a high set point - phases L2 and L3 did it, L1 sat dormant. Then I just tried a forced discharge with a '30' set point on each, and only L3 fired up, the other two stayed Dormant.

Then a forced charge again - all set points high... and only L3 charging again.

I've changed out all the data cables between the GX and the units. That made no difference.

Randomly one inverter fired up, immediately went to OVERLOAD + LOW BATTERY and reported a DC RIPPLE.

I'm really stuck! Is there any way to see a log of what the Quattros are doing, rather than them just ignoring me and making up their own minds?

Battery SOC is OK, and I've checked loads of MODBUS parameters:

Allowed To Charge=True

Allowed To DisCharge=True

Max Charge Current=880 Amps

Meter Grid to Load=6.13 kWh

Meter Grid to Battery=0.86 kWh

Meter Battery to Load=0.07 kWh

VE.Bus STATE=252

VE.Bus ERROR=0

VE.Bus Low Battery Alarm=0

VE.Bus Low Battery L1 Alarm=0

VE.Bus BMS Error=0

Battery Alarm=0

Battery State=0

Battery Error Code=0

Battery Count=0

Battery Modules Blocking CHARGE=0

Battery Modules Blocking DISCHARGE=0

ESS BatteryLife State=2

ESS Min SOC=10

ESS Mode=3

ESS Max SOC=20

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Paul B avatar image Paul B commented ·
some pictures of the installation please and more info of how its all setup and fw versions etc etc
0 Likes 0 ·
carl-meek avatar image carl-meek Paul B commented ·
Firmware - very latest (502 I think from memory!)

I'll try to get some photos on here.

0 Likes 0 ·
6 Answers
carl-meek avatar image
carl-meek answered ·

As I write this .... L3 is busy discharging batteries quite happily whilst L1 and L2 ignore my commands. No weird lights on the unit - no errors on GX, just ignoring me.

4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

cant help much without information
0 Likes 0 ·
try diferent modes and combinations in the ess
0 Likes 0 ·
carl-meek avatar image carl-meek Paul B commented ·
I don't have a grid meter - so I don't think I can use anything except MODE 3.
0 Likes 0 ·
carl-meek avatar image carl-meek carl-meek commented ·
Are there any methods of seeing "What are you doing" information from each individual Phase? I've checked every MODBUS I can think of, and looked at the VRM - but can't see any errors/reasons for things. Just want to know why the inverters aren't doing as I'm instructing.
0 Likes 0 ·
carl-meek avatar image
carl-meek answered ·

img-8291.jpegI just completely re-applied ALL Settings to the three units, including assistants, and reset them all. Right now - I'm getting the same, only L3 doing as it's told, the other 2 units just completely ignoring me.

L3 inverter green LED is ON. The other two, BULK is on and inverter lights are not.

Photos:

img-8292.jpeg

img-8292.jpeg (2.3 MiB)
img-8291.jpeg (3.4 MiB)
2 |3000

carl-meek avatar image
carl-meek answered ·

Well I've just found one answer - L1 and L2. 200A mega fuses have both blown!

2 |3000

carl-meek avatar image
carl-meek answered ·

Hello Again.....

Having found that the supplier sent the wrong fuse values these have now been replaced with 500A fuses, and things are now looking more consistent.

I have a simple ESS Mode 3 control loop. it sends a command to the gx every few seconds with values for L1,L2,L3.

When I first run my control loop, there's a time delay before it works - this is OK, I assume the controllers have some smoothing. However, it's inconsistent. I just tried it. L2 responded almost immediately. L1 came online 30 seconds later. L3 took 5 minutes.

L3 is regularly just reverting back to zero. it sits there reporting something like 66W. Every now and then, seemingly randomly, it fires up and joins in the charging/inverting.

Right now it's a very sunny day, and only 2 of the phases are capturing energy into the batteries.

I've just SSH'd to the GX and looked through every single log file I can find - nothing to see. No errors, no warning lights. just L3 sits there, the other 2 charging 'bulk' light on, L3 not.

Is there any way of getting debugging into off one of the phases direct to see what it's doing, and why it's not joining in?

2 |3000

carl-meek avatar image
carl-meek answered ·

Just in case anyone's interested - I tried, and tried, and tried until I was blue in the face. I cannot get ESS Mode 3 to work reliably.

So I've changed to mode 2..... and guess what? It seems to work perfectly. I'm even reading the registers 37,40,41 which are the set point for mode 3, and I can see mode 2 setting them almost identically to the numbers I set..... but those work, and mine didn't!!

2 |3000

chultquist avatar image
chultquist answered ·

I'm busy spec'ing out a 3-phase system with the idea of using ESS mode 3, so found this post really interesting. I was curious - you mentioned a sunny day and capturing energy into the batteries, but from your photos I didn't see any MPPTs. Is your solar coming in as AC which the Quattros then convert to DC for battery storage?

2 |3000