question

jfleissner avatar image

How to reset a Venus GX to factory defaults?

Hi,

I used root access to modify /etc/dbus-1/system.conf and made a typing error - rather put the new section

<listen>tcp:host=0.0.0.0,port=78</listen> <auth>ANONYMOUS</auth> <allow_anonymous/>

to the very end of the file instead of inside the correct section.

now my Venus is not accessible anymore. Is there a way to make a full reinstall or any other way to access the device to take the modification back?

The LED indicates a finished boot (green flashing of LED), but I doubt this is correct.

Thank you very much!

Venus GX - VGX
10 |3000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
jfleissner avatar image
jfleissner answered ·

It took me a while but I got it.

- Flash beaglebone debian image to microSD

- insert microSD into device

- hold down "boot" button while applying power (to get to this the housing has to be opened, it is the button closest to the microSD-holder

- release button

wait... while booting from beaglebone original image/ microSD

- connect via SSH (Putty) to IP 192.168.7.2

- log on as root:temppwd

- mkdir disk

- sudo mount /dev/mmcblk1p2 disk

- move to ~/disk/... directory necessary and fix whatever you screwed up...

5 comments Share

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Update, as this is no longer working, and there's no need to open the box at all. Here are updated steps that I took to get this going:

You need microsd card - at least 4GB.

download from http://beagleboard.org/latest-images
Debian 9.3 2018-01-28 4GB SD IoT image for (...) SanCloud BeagleBone Enhanced (...)
filename: bone-debian-9.3-iot-armhf-2018-01-28-4gb.img.xz

Write image using BalenaEtcher (macos) or Win32 Disk Imager (windows)

Turn off Venus GX power (unplug)

With a pen/sharp object depress the "reset" hidden button next to the TANK3 GND.

THERE IS NO NEED TO OPEN THE ENCLOSURE!

Turn on Venus GX power (plug in)

Connect ethernet cable between PC/mac and VenusGX, set manual IP address to 192.168.7.99 subnet 255.255.255.0

Wait 3-4 minutes for the system to load

On PC/Mac, ping 192.168.7.99 until it responds

ssh debian@192.168.7.99
password: temppwd

sudo su -

mkdir disk
mount /dev/mmcblk1p2 disk

mkdir data
mount /dev/mmcblk1p5 data

useful links:
https://github.com/victronenergy/venus/wiki/project-bbb
https://github.com/victronenergy/venus/wiki/bbb-hardware-spec
http://beagleboard.org/latest-images

Does this solution reset the device to factory defaults, or just allow one to access the existing filesystems?

+1 I'd like some more info too @gs_nz.. I would love to nuke my VenusGX and start fresh, but this doesn't seem to do anything other than make some files accessible..

hi @ee21 & @ryanb the instructions here are to be able to boot another linux instance off SDCard and edit the files on the internal filesystem only. There is no apparent way to "factory reset" VenusGX - and "flash the firmware". I would really like Victron to make it possible to do so. I don't understand why this isn't documented/supported, it seems such a basic thing.

I did see a post a few months back from a Victron staff member that a 'reset to factory default' was in the pipeline.

As far as I know, the /data/conf/settings.xml file is the main file responsible for retaining all the settings. But one cannot just delete this file and expect the Venus OS to rebuild to factory default (I have tried). One could extract a 'clean' settings.xml file from a fresh Venus possibly, but I'm guessing there may be other complexities in resetting to factory default which we are not aware of at this stage.

So maybe Victron will release a complete 'factory default' disk image... ? Or, more likely, an option in remote console to achieve this..

schwarzenbergf avatar image
schwarzenbergf answered ·

Thank you very much for sharing this.

I had a similar problem and this saved me a lot of time.

wraaski avatar image
wraaski answered ·

HI i can't find the edit i did to the file ? its not the same contens

peter

2 comments Share

found it :) it working now

log on as root:temppwd root is disable now use debian ! just sudo

- mkdir disk

- sudo mount /dev/mmcblk1p2 disk and its on mmcblk1p3 now ?

peter

I had the same problem.

You can list all volumes that you can mount with fdisk -l.

You can mount each volume until you found the one with the bad system.conf file.

Now I create a system-local.conf file with my modifications instead of modifying the system.conf directly.

It works safely.