question

CristiMV avatar image
CristiMV asked

PV snow melting

Did anyone successfully melted the snow on PV panels by injecting power into the strings and therefore heating them? If yes, can you please share details (on which inverter/mppt you have done this, what voltage/amperage are you using, etc.)

Solar Panel
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
jetlag avatar image
jetlag answered ·

I tried it once some years ago, but it takes a lot of energy. For that I have disconnected the MPPT and but the energy with a scaleable power supply.

I found recently a video to that topic on youtube on the channel from "Halmand".

The video titel is "PV Module Schnee und Eisfrei bekommen mit Elekrisch Strom DIY Experiment Rückstromheizung".

Its in german, I don't know where you are from and if this is helpful...

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

CristiMV avatar image CristiMV commented ·
Many thanks. I'll watch the clip, doesn't matter if it's in German. I'm from Romania by the way.
0 Likes 0 ·
Jason - UK avatar image
Jason - UK answered ·

@cristimv My PV panels are mounted on my roof. When there is ice or snow on the panels, I have a fan that extracts air from the roof space out the roof under the PV panels. I set it to run in the early hours before sunrise so when the sun comes up, the panels are already de-iced.

The fan I have is a basic 100mm inline fan ducted to 2 vent tiles. There is no ducting on the fan inlet. The roof space is cold roof void but it is just enough warmth to keep the solar PV panels clear on those cold winters day when the sun comes out.

1 comment
2 |3000

CristiMV avatar image CristiMV commented ·
Thanks. That's a good idea, worth to be considered.

1 Like 1 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic