question

carrpet avatar image
carrpet asked

Multiplus ii firmware update & configuration without batteries

I have a brand new Multiplus II 48/10000 and would like to update the firmware and configure before my 4 PylonTech batteries arrive. I have searched for and read a few Q & As on the subject.

The Victron videos indicate that this is possible using either AC in or 48v DC. I wanted to minimise risk and use a low value MCB for setup, connect up my laptop and USB interface and away we go. There seem to be differing views on whether the AC in only option will work

I have only AC in connected (100A cables) and earth from my adjacent consumer unit.

I initially connected it to a 16A Type B MCB and the MCB tripped after a few seconds whether in position I or II

I have read that there is an initial rush of current to charge internal smoothing capacitors, so I get that.

I repeated using a 50A MCB (not unreasonable given that a 100A MCB is recommended to match the Multiplus's 100A throughput capability) and this time the MCB and RCD (80A 30mA) both tripped after about 15 seconds.

Is my only choice to wait for the batteries to arrive ?

Is there something else I should try ?

Does it make a difference if I start up in charging only (position II) of inverter (position I) ?

Alternatively does this suggest there is a problem with the inverter ?

How many volts of DC would it require to fire up the DC side as I have a number of smallish LiPo batteries of different sizes that I could use ? I also have a 12v lead acid accumulator ?

Any help would be appreciated

Peter

Multiplus-II
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

7 Answers
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

You will put huge stress on the AC input relays from the surge to charge the caps at the DC end. Bad idea and unsupported. Documented many times on this forum, a search would show as much:

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

carrpet avatar image
carrpet answered ·

Thanks Nick. I have searched the forum before I posted and there are people who claim it can be done. However I wonder if the larger the Multiplus the bigger the capacitors and the more strain it puts on the DC end ?

1 comment
2 |3000

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·

The bigger the inverter definitely the bigger the bank of caps. Pre charging is important on bigger systems. If you have an mppt you can use solar to precharge, but there are some good tips if you poke around on the forum.

These systems aren’t inexpensive, so treat them nicely and they will look after you. :)

0 Likes 0 ·
carrpet avatar image
carrpet answered ·

Thanks Nick. I have 4kw of solar but it feeds a Sunny Boy network tied inverter so no MPPT and no 48V DC to do the job you suggest. I do have however have 3 victron panels and a small Victron 100/30 MPPT which is ready to install in my wife's horse lorry. Could I use this ? I have just checked it is 24v !

Peter

1 comment
2 |3000

No unless it supports 48V. Sorry!
0 Likes 0 ·
carrpet avatar image
carrpet answered ·

Nick,

So when I have got my PylonTech 48v battery stack do I fire up

1) without AC in connected ?

2) Should I use on off switch in charge mode or inverter mode to be able to update FW ad configure the inverter ?

Thanks

Peter

1 comment
2 |3000

I would encourage you to carefully go through the video tutorials at professional.victronenergy.com, the multis manual and the pylontech manual (especially the victron/pylon deployment doc).

You commission with AC off, batteries will be turned off. Caps will charge even though the inverter is in the off state the moment power is present on the DC bus. So if you can precharge via solar that would help. You don’t want to trip the master battery when it is first powered on.

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

For updating the FW and programming you can also connect the MultiPlus to a 12V or 24V battery or use DC power supply.

Obviously it will not turn on fully but the electronics gets powered to communicate.

2 |3000

carrpet avatar image
carrpet answered ·

Thanks Matthias, I have a "small" 12v dc power supply that I am using to power my Cerbo temporarily. What sort of current will the Victron 48/10000 draw on the power supply when it is only powering up the electronics rather than the relays / capacitors /inverter etc ?

Also which mode do I use switch position I or II

Thanks

Peter

2 |3000

carrpet avatar image
carrpet answered ·

Firmware update completed using a 20v LiPo battery to activate the "electronics".

Thanks for the help on this.

Should the Multiplus show up on the Cerbo when the Multiplus is fed in this way with a non 48v battery ? It did not appear on the list of connected devices. Is there anything I need to enable in the Cerbo interface for this to happen ?

Peter

2 |3000