question

larrydb avatar image
larrydb asked

victron multiplus II 5000 clicking on grid restore.

Hi

Please advise.

I have a new Multiplus II install that is making a clicking noise on every grid restore – see video.

This clicking only started only after the MPII was upgraded to the latest firmware Ver 500

It also takes about 30 seconds to switch from inverting to grid

Multiplus II 48/5000/70-50 230v

Chip Version no is 2623841 SN:2123 SN: HQ2132WXJDE

The system is operating fine other than this clicking. (Possibly a relay test)

As previously mentioned, it only started doing this after the firmware update.

How do I stop this and is this something to be concerned about

1674888948299.png

whatsapp-image-2023-01-27-at-140418.jpeg

whatsapp-image-2023-01-27-at-140426.jpeg

whatsapp-image-2023-01-27-at-140419.jpeg

whatsapp-image-2023-01-27-at-161144.jpeg

Multiplus-II
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@LarryDB

That is normal on some grid codes. There are a bunch of relays that do tests before accepting the incoming power.

When you upgraded firmware, did you reprogram the inverter?

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

larrydb avatar image larrydb commented ·

Thank you for your reply, this install is in South Africa, the inverter was programmed, I have 5 installs like this and none of the others do this clicking.

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ larrydb commented ·

Is there any voltage between neutral and earth? Or a swapped over neutral line in the loads? I have found they can be fussy like that.

We also had one where the washing machine cause that clicking issue. So a circuit in the house causing the issue.

0 Likes 0 ·
robbiec avatar image
robbiec answered ·

This is done by the ESS assistant as it's required to check the relays haven't been fused shut by arcing.

Do all systems have ESS setup?

2 comments
2 |3000

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·
It's part of the selected grid code not the ESS assistant.
0 Likes 0 ·

Only this unit has ESS installed. - does this happen on all MP II units with ESS? as i have not seen it before

0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

As stated completely normal, mine all do that on the correct settings for the SA market. Various relays and tests as others have said.

2 comments
2 |3000

Thank you, I was a bit concerned about installing the new firmware and ess on the other MP II units.

0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ larrydb commented ·
There’s precious little after 4.98 that will help anything in SA, mostly addresses certification issues abroad.
0 Likes 0 ·