question

teddysx3 avatar image
teddysx3 asked

Multiplus 2 3000va without batteries?

Hello everyone.

I currently have installed a Multiplus 2 3000va, paired with some batteries. Lynx, orion and mppt.

I was curious If I can used the multiplus when I'm connected to shore to power up my 12v system without having batteries hooked up (in and emergency if the batteries fail or the main fuse is blown and I don't have a spare).

So it kind of works, the multiplus while in on mode(inverter/charger) actually sends 14.4v to the 12v system (charging function) and all the 12v appliances work. But! I loaded it with 120-150w load at the same time (not that much) and I monitored how the charing voltage ot 14.4 dropped to around 10v and the multiplus gave an error that the battery is low, at least that what it thinks. And the only way to get out of the replay to stop switching on/off is the reset the system, and that is done by turning off the inverter and powering it from either solar or dc-dc charger, because the AC shore power cannot switch it on, the Bluetooth I'm using is on 12v power.

So my question, can it be used like that and why does it go into the low battery protection mode?

And also doesn't the multiplus have a pass through for AC when it's connected to shore power? So the inverter doesn't have to be running when there is 220v present on ac in?

Thanks!

Multiplus-II
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

No, the system is not designed nor supported to operate without batteries. It is a great way to do some permanent damage.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·
@teddysx3

For the emergency situation you are describing, you should have a system bypass switch installed.

0 Likes 0 ·
teddysx3 avatar image teddysx3 Alexandra ♦ commented ·
Oh well, I'm not going to try that anymore then!

So this system with the Multiplus is designed to get AC shore power, charge the batteries, and then run the 12v systems from the charged batteries I assume? I know it's probably ment like that, but I was just thinking about the other way I mentioned earlier.

And what would this bypass switch look like, can you please explain a little more so I can look into it?

Also I think I answered my question about the AC passthrough function. When Charger only is seleceted, only the batteries are being charged by shore, when the inverted option is selected, then if AC shore power is present it is passed through AC out 1/2 without having to pull power from the batteries, correct?

0 Likes 0 ·