question

dave-langsdale avatar image
dave-langsdale asked

I have a 12/3000/120 on a new build narrow boat but am unable to run a washing machine even with the engine running please help

inverter current draw
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

Your inverter should run any domestic washing machine.

Does it have a water heating element in it? Can the heater be turned off?

0 Likes 0 ·
4 Answers
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

check to make sure you have the Correct Hz set for washing machines as they are VERY pedantic to incorrect Hz settings Usually 110 inverters should be set to 60 Hz and 220 units 50hz.

but as a example some machines can be 220 but setup for 60z

I think this wiull be the area you will need to look at

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

dave-langsdale avatar image dave-langsdale commented ·

Have found out my zanussi washing machine is 60hz.I dont want to change victron unit as it might affect other 240 vault appliances .The answer which works fine is to have a 100w light bulb on at the same time {seems strange} I also run the engine to save battery power PROBLEM SOLVED thank you victron

0 Likes 0 ·
cyberhom avatar image cyberhom dave-langsdale commented ·

I have tried the additional load route and checked I have matched the voltage and Hz of the washing machine.

0 Likes 0 ·
cyberhom avatar image cyberhom commented ·

All correct 50Hz 230V

0 Likes 0 ·
cyberhom avatar image
cyberhom answered ·

I have a Victron Inverter of identical specifications and a new Hover visionTech washing machine. I am suffering the same issues as you. My washing machine LED panel lights but nothing happens beyond this. I have been through all the settings , Volts and Hz, no issues there. I have spent weeks communicating with Midland Chandlers from who I purchased the device and Victron, not a clue. In a conversation Midland did point out that they sell washing machines that have been bench tested with Victron inverters. That infers that there is a known issue or why would you bench test washing machines with inverters. All in all I am left with the option of switching out the washing machine for another, which could result in a repeat of the problem or just continue utilising my 3000Watt inverter to run my 22 watt TV.

2 |3000

russ avatar image
russ answered ·

What size /type batteries? What is the rated power of the machine? When the machine starts, does the inverter show any error? Are any other loads affected? (eg, lights). Is it able to run a different load of similar size?

Is the battery cable sized correctly?

The point here is to determine if it is the multi install or the machine.

1 comment
2 |3000

cyberhom avatar image cyberhom commented ·

Thanks for your reply

Total battery capacity 440A/h Trojan T1275s

Rated power of machine 1500w

No error on the inverter, machine does not start only the control panel lights but does not progress. Control panel does not count down through the program.

no other loads affected.

No problem running a 2000w paint stripper or 800w microwave. from inverter.

Battery cables are Tinned, 2 x 70mm positive 2 x 70mm negative, length 1.5m.

Totally charged batteries on mains until under 10amps charging in float. discoonted mains, started main engine with 60amp alternators. switched on inverter. Same situation.

Applied additional loads to the inverter, no change.

To test we brought another boat alongside with the same inverter.

This washing machine operates on a older inverter of the same spec, no engine running.

My inverter runs an older washing machine.

inverter set to 230v 50hz the same rating as the washing machine.

0 Likes 0 ·
Les Rollins avatar image
Les Rollins answered ·

If the boat is a new build and it was professionally fitted out can't the builders help you out with your problem

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic