question

rogerball0 avatar image
rogerball0 asked

AC input disconnected (UK spec) 12/3000/120 inverter charger

Hi I've recently installed a victron 12/3000/120 inverter charger in my van, The problem, I left the van on shore power outside my house plugged in to top up the Lithium batteries (2 x 280Ah packs) prior to going away. Unfortunately the next morning (very cold) everything was dead, nothing on the bmv display and batteries showing no readings via multimeter.

After it warmed up the display and batteries showed a voltage of 13.8V (float) as set on the batteries' BMS. However when i went to plug in the shore power on the campsite the 'mains on' led on charger side of display along with bulk, absorption & float are all off.

When the unit is switched on only the inverter led lights up. I have replaced the fuse on the lynx distributor and left it off after that did nothing. Have read forums and turned done the charge current to 30A from 120A that did nothing. I currently have the input supply to the unit set at 16A.

I have a week before the window closes (30th Jan) to return it to the supplier.

Any ideas what could be causing the problem?

Many thanks in advance

Roger

20230119-153606.jpg

Multiplus-II
20230119-153606.jpg (99.6 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·
From your screenshot, there is no ac on the multi's input.

Something to investigate.

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
rogerball0 avatar image
rogerball0 answered ·

Thanks for the reply, I took that onboard and put the multimeter across the terminals of 'AC 1 in' to see if power was coming into the van and when I put the probes on the live and earth the multiplus 'clicked' and the 'mains on' led lit up for the first time in 5 days. Coincidence? Maybe.

I guess the only thing that bothers me is if it does it again, I'm putting it down to the weather as we've had low temps here in the UK, minus 5 and wonder if that's messing with the lithium batteries as this morning the bmv display was all over the place.

It stayed solid at 14.45v until you turned on a light or the TV when the voltage would run down then up from 12v back up to 14.45v.

The Bms' are Daly and in my opinion are crap as the voltage readings in the software bear no relation to actual figures from the multimeter. Will change them to JBD when funds are available.

cheers

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

put the multimeter across the terminals of 'AC 1 in' to see if power was coming into the van and when I put the probes on the live and earth the multiplus 'clicked' and the 'mains on' led lit up for the first time in 5 days. Coincidence?

Enough of a coincidence to warrant further investigation and testing.

Safety first.

0 Likes 0 ·
gavinthompson avatar image
gavinthompson answered ·

I just want to say that there are the 12/3000/120 MultiPlus from Victron Energy is a powerful true sine wave inverter, a sophisticated battery charger that features adaptive charge technology and a high-speed AC transfer switch in a single compact unit. This design not only saves space, but simplifies your installation by requiring only a single set of cables to connect to your battery.

2 |3000