question

kalou avatar image
kalou asked

How to best connect two different series of solar pannels. Autonomy

How to best connect two different series of solar pannels. Autonomy

- one series of 4 400w 24v

- one series of 4 280w 24v

Right now they are connected on the same mppt, but. I onlyet about 1100w max

Can I have two mppts charging the same batteries? Do they talk to each other?

Thanks for your reply

connection issue
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

10 Answers
seb71 avatar image
seb71 answered ·

Can I have two mppts charging the same batteries?

Yes.

Do they talk to each other?

For start, configure both MPPTs with the same charging settings.

Read about VE.Smart Networking. Pay attention to the requirements.

https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/VE.Smart_Networking/en/index-en.html

A better, but more expensive solution is to use a GX device (like Cerbo GX).

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Harold Lopez avatar image
Harold Lopez answered ·

Hi, I think the best option is installing a MPPT RS 450/100, this divice it has two mppt that allow you to feed it with differents PV arrays with one unify output to your batteries. It works nice for a very similar case that I had. Best of luck.

2 comments
2 |3000

Michelle Konzack avatar image Michelle Konzack commented ·
AFAIK does the RS 450/100 not switch on if the PV voltage is under 120V.

Wirh only 4 Solarpanels in series he can run into trouble with it.

Better using two of the smallest VE.Can versions which can be interconnected ans synchronise them to the same charging voltage

1 Like 1 ·
Harold Lopez avatar image Harold Lopez Michelle Konzack commented ·

You're right, he will only get 96V from each array. Maybe with two 150/50.

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @Kalou

If the 2 panel strings are similar in Vmp spec then it's unlikely you'd see much improvement in output from having separate mppts. Unless of course they face different directions, shade, etc. And even then, ??

Why you can't exceed 1100W is worth investigating before you choose. Both strings actually working?, batteries can't accept more? You need to provide more info to make a considered decision.

2 |3000

kalou avatar image
kalou answered ·

One is 28Vmp and the other 34Vmp. 6 Batteries are 750Ah.

2 |3000

kalou avatar image
kalou answered ·

Sorry forum has problems on my android it keeps adding spaces as I type

6 comments
2 |3000

JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ commented ·
@Kalou

I've edited out the spaces. I think multiple 'Enters'.

To your panels. Not an ideal combo, but still shouldn't restrict you as much as you indicate. Usually mixing strings like that the mppt will track closer to the lower Vmp, so the higher Vmp string will take most of the production hit. A wild guess, maybe 20% or so reduction on one string. But even if it were much higher it wouldn't explain the 1100W you max at.

So there may well be something else at play. If you can isolate the strings, try testing each one separately. Give the mppt time to track, like 15 min or so if you do this on the run. Take care too, that's high panel V.

Still not much info for us to work on..

0 Likes 0 ·
seb71 avatar image seb71 JohnC ♦ commented ·

He does not mention which MPPT he has now.

The power could also be limited by the MPPT's output current.

Nominal battery voltage is also not mentioned.

0 Likes 0 ·
kalou avatar image kalou seb71 commented ·
150/70. Thank you forbyour interest
0 Likes 0 ·
seb71 avatar image seb71 kalou commented ·
On a 12V system, that means you are limited to 1000W.
0 Likes 0 ·
kalou avatar image kalou JohnC ♦ commented ·
1100w correponds approximately to the lower string of solar panels. No?
0 Likes 0 ·
I just told you that you are limited by the MPPT (and the system voltage). It can output maximum 70A. For your 12V (nominal) system voltage, that means maximum 1000W or so.
0 Likes 0 ·
kalou avatar image
kalou answered ·

I thought it was limited by the less powerful string (4×265w) which would make sense. No?

3 comments
2 |3000

No. You can add the power together from parallel strings. If you're talking tracking, the string with the lower Vmp will tend to dominate the overall Vmp because the power curve tapers sharply above Vmp. My own system has mismatched strings, trust me. :)

What we need to find out is what's wrong with your existing setup before you waste money on a 'perfect' arrangement.

0 Likes 0 ·

The two string of panels go to a mppt 150/70 and charge 6 batteries Opzv before it is used through a 3000w victron converter/charger.

Thanks forbyoue interest

20230123-103919.jpg

0 Likes 0 ·

You have a few melted battery terminals. Dangerous to use it like this.

Also dangerous that the MPPT-battery wires are not fused.

Use proper busbars and connect everything to them.

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

@Kalou

Ok, so it's the 12V batteries limiting you. And a 12V Multiplus, so stuck on 12V.

The only real option is to add another mppt, say a 150/100, which would be a good match for the 1600W string. The existing 150/70 fine for the smaller string. It's a Bluesolar, so can't be networked unless you have a GX device, but they'll still work ok together if they have the same settings.

And I'd wire the panels in 2x per string and have 2 strings per mppt. 4x panels in a series string I wouldn't trust to stay under the 150 Voc limit of the mppts.

2 |3000

kalou avatar image
kalou answered ·

Thanks a lot. Why not trust to stay under 150voc? What is the risk? Isn't there one model of mppt that could handle birh strings like it is said earlier on this discussion ?

4 comments
2 |3000

@Kalou

The 150/ in the mppt name means 150V panel maximum. And that's the Voc, not Vmp. Exceeding it can destroy the mppt. You've mentioned your 2 strings are comprised of 28 and 34 Vmp panels. The Voc of the 34 one is likely around 40Voc, and 4x of those in a series string will exceed 150V. If they're actually wired in series now, then you've got away with it because the 28's have dragged the higher one down to it's level. Please don't be tempted to try the 34V string alone to see what happens. Might void warranty when it fails. Use this calculator to verify first.. https://mppt.victronenergy.com/

12V batteries come with the downside of needing a lot of mppt output power. Lets use a 14V charge V to do the calcs. Your existing 150/70 can do 70Amps, at 14V that's 1080W (about what you see now). A good match for your 4x 280(265?)W string. A 150/100, 100A@14V =1400V, ok for your 1600W string. The 170A total about as much as you'd want to put into that 750Ah of batteries anyway.

Forget the double-string mppt. Those are for high V strings (450/), and still only 100A for 2 strings. Great for 48V batts, not really suited to 12V. And more expensive!

0 Likes 0 ·
Thanks a lot. I will do just that!
0 Likes 0 ·
0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ kalou commented ·
@Kalou

Not sure what you're comparing there, but if it's a 250/ vs a 150/ then the 250/ will cost more. But with a 250/ you could run with the 4x panels in one string. MC4 vs Tr is personal preference, just connectors.

0 Likes 0 ·
Michelle Konzack avatar image
Michelle Konzack answered ·

You can use for the four 36V panels (which have probably a V0 of around 44V) the MPPT 250/100

2 |3000

kalou avatar image
kalou answered ·

I still have doubts, should i go for a 150/100 (is it enough) or a 250/100. They are pretty expensive

Thanks

2 comments
2 |3000

@Kalou

They are both 100A output rated. But require different panel wiring. The 150/ is possibly a little cheaper. And perhaps even safer with less panel voltage..

0 Likes 0 ·
Thank you VERY MUCH
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic