question

drakena avatar image
drakena asked

Smartsolar MPPT 100/50 not turning on with battery connection

Hello, I have a Smartsolar 100/50 MPPT charge controller and it does not power on with battery connection. It turned on after connecting to PV and worked fine during a sunny day, until sun set. At night there was no light on it and I could not connect via bluetooth application. All the setup is new with appropriate cabling. Is this situation a clear sign of defective unit?

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

Check that you have battery voltage at the mppt's battery terminals, and that the polarity is correct.

With PV only connected, you should have a blue bulk led lit. With battery only connected, the blue led should blink briefly every 4 seconds or so. Can you connect to the mppt with Victron Connect?

Post your results.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

drakena avatar image
drakena answered ·

Thank you for your comments. First of all during daylight when there is PV connection, I am able to connect by Victron Connect. Even though there is voltage at battery connection I did not observe blinking blue led.

1 comment
2 |3000

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·
Contact your supplier for further advice / replacement.
0 Likes 0 ·
Michelle Konzack avatar image
Michelle Konzack answered ·

Try to disconnect the solarpanel/s and disconnect the battery.

Wait a minute and reconnect the BATTERY FIRST be careful with the polarity. Try to connect with the App to it.

If it works, reconnect the Solarpanels and see if it works.

Please note: the battery has to be connected ALWAYS first, because the MPPT has an auto detection of the Battery Voltage.

2 |3000

drakena avatar image
drakena answered ·

Michelle hi, I did as you explained, however when I connect battery cables the unit does not start, there is no indication light and I cannot connect using Victron Connect. It starts only after PV cables inserted.

Emre

2 |3000