question

jag avatar image
jag asked

Victron Battery control oscilations

Dear all

On my on-grid system, I have a non-Victron PV inverter, a Multiplus 2, a stack of Pylontech batteries and a grid meter being the three last components managed by a Cerbo GX.

The rationale I expect from the system when I use ESS as "Optimized without BatteryLife" it is to optimize imports/exports to the grid, storing on the batteries the excess of PV power produced and discharging it when imports tend to start. All seems to work well, but when there are partially cloudy days, when the inverter production cycles go from close to zero to maximum, or when there are intermittent loads (like clothes ironing), the system goes mad with quick cycles of battery charging/discharging. I believe my battery life is being very much affected by these wide oscillations.

Bearing in mind my electricity supplier charges my consumption based on the average consumption/production of each 15 minutes (the export remuneration is very very low, being better to store the excess in the battery), there is a more clever control way to optimize my grid import/export and at the same time avoiding stress cycling on all system?

Can you please guide me to find the right posts or explore the expert tools to manage Victron?

Thanks

ESSLithium Battery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
shaneyake avatar image
shaneyake answered ·

This is normal operation and is normally the most economical. Unless Time of Use matters.

What size battery do you have? What size inverters do you have?
This short cycling shouldn't have any effect unless the batteries are too small for the inverter.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jag avatar image
jag answered ·

Thanks @shaneyake

The battery is 3*2.4kWh, PV inverter is 3kW, and Multiplus2 is 5kW. The excursions go from top to bottom limitation of battery charging/discharging limits.1673896537751.png

(24 hours)

My question is if the response from Multiplus on charging/discharging can be slower and taking into consideration the moving average of the grid meter and not the instantaneous figure.

1673896537751.png (7.4 KiB)
2 |3000