question

rns avatar image
rns asked

I see AC loads while nothing is connected

I just connected my myltiplus II to the grid. On the AC Out1 is just a breaker but no consumers. Strange thing is that I see a few 100 to a few thousend W as loud on the multiplus while there is no load. It discharges the batteries but I have no idea where it is going to.

At the moment of the screenshot below. The breaker is even switched of so not even a breaker connected.

1673792209063.png

Multiplus-II
1673792209063.png (57.0 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@rns

How do you have your shunts configured on the GX? clearly something is being measured, unless your shunts are calibrated incorrectly?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

rns avatar image
rns answered ·

I found my issue. I have an external ac sensor connected. When not connected to the grid ac1 in I can't find any data from this sensor. As soon as it is connected to AC 1 IN, it looks it uses this sensor data to compensate the grid load.

In my situation the external sensor is connected to my L1 of my grid in of my house. The multiplus tried to compensate for everyting my house used even that this is not connected to ac1 out so it does on feedpack on ac1 in. Confusing is that it shows the ac load on my hous on the ac load at the right side of the victron in the picture above. It now is unclear what is the load on ac1 out or what the external ac sensor measures.

With the parameter "grid setpoint" it is possible to configure at what load the victron should start to assist. Also this parameter is a bit confusing because as soon as the real ac load is gone it keeps taking what is left between the ac load in the value on this parameter to charge the batteries even that they are almost full.

Example "grid setpoint" = 2500 load on the house is 500w , the victron extracts 200w from the grid and sends it to the batteries even that they are at 98% and even that the "minimum soc" is set to 10%.

I solved this by setting "maximum charge power" to 0w. It now doesn't charge the batteries .

1673806267895.png

1673806267895.png (22.5 KiB)
3 comments
2 |3000

shaneyake avatar image shaneyake commented ·
When using an External CT the multiplus now believes it is located there as if you cut the cable wired AC in and AC out at the CT location. Keep that in mind.

Grid Set point is exactly that, what should the power at the grid be. Normally this is 50-150W. It is normally most economical for the inverter to cover all loads up to the max rating of the inverter.

What you trying to do? Why don't you want the inverter to cover your loads?

0 Likes 0 ·
rns avatar image rns shaneyake commented ·

In Belgium since January first the energy price calculations is changed. Will try to explain.

Average grid consumption is calculated on a 15min base. The highest 15min average of the month is stored. This is done in a 12 months floating window. The average of the 12 month peaks is used as the bace to calculate one part of the energy bill. The minimum peak used for this 15min peak is 2500w. This new way of calculating only applies to people with a digital energy meter. I'm in the situation I still have an analog meter but this will dissapear in the comming months so I'm testing if I can keep the grid consumption below 2500w piek on 15min and get an idea how long the battery would last so that is the reason for my 2500w grid setpoint. In the future I want to lower this setpoint (certainly when we get out of winter, batteries will get charged by PV again) and I also want to make this setpoint more dynamic. Still have to figure out how to do this but I know of solutions that use the modbus protocl to manage the multiplus. I would like to do that also via home assistant and a lot of different parameters (current consumtion, current PV, SOC battery, day ahead electric prices, day ahead expected consumtion, PV power, .....). So still at the starting point.

0 Likes 0 ·
shaneyake avatar image shaneyake rns commented ·
Yeah, we call this peak shaving.

Unfortunately it is not natively support by Victron yet but I have done it for a few people now. You can do it using NodeRed running on the Cerbo.

If you want to send me an email shaneyake2@gmail.com I can help you through the process.

I am busy working on a blog post to document how to set this up but haven't finished it yet.

1 Like 1 ·