question

klann avatar image
klann asked

ground wire inversor

hello colleagues, I suppose this question will have already been answered, but I have not found the answer... do you know where the ground cable from the output to the inverter loads is connected? It is a camper.

Multiplus-II
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Should be a single ground. This goes to a common ground point and this should be connected to the vehicle chassis.

The neutral will also ground this way when off grid.

I strongly suggest you consult a professional installer, there is a high risk of a very dangerous electrical setup here.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

klann avatar image
klann answered ·

yes, the installation will be checked by an installer, but I want to get things right before being checked.

I don't understand the neutral when it's off the grid, the inverter will always be on the grid, either through batteries or an external power supply, right?

5 comments
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Grid is the external power coming into your camper. Aka shore power.
0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem commented ·
The safety ground to neutral bond is handled inside the Multi. No need to do anything with it.

When connected to shore power, there is no connection between safety ground and neutral inside the Multi because that connection is made in the service entrance. When the Multi switches to inverting mode, an internal relay energizes and makes the safety ground to neutral connection.

This safety ground to neutral connection is required for safety and must be made in only one place in the entire electrical system. It is there to provide a current path for fault currents so the breaker feeding the faulty equipment will trip. Otherwise there could be lethal voltages on the chassis of the device. The Multi makes this connection when the AC input is not in use because in this case the safety ground to neutral connection in the service entrance equipment is isolated from the Multi's inverter.

0 Likes 0 ·
klann avatar image klann Kevin Windrem commented ·

Ok, perfect explanation! I thank you very much.
I understand that the connection to the chassis that I have to make is simply from the ground connection of the Multi casing, right? That would be the ground when I'm not connected to shore power no?
And another question that arises, the relay that makes the change when I am not connected to shore power , if it fails, I will get an alarm on the Multi, right? Would it be a solution to make a union of the neutral and ground of the output of the Multi or is it not necessary?

Thanks for your patience!

0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem klann commented ·

All safety ground connections should be connected in some way: Multi chassis, RV chassis, Shore power safety ground wire, Multi PE terminal. The Multi chassis and PE terminal are connected internally.

I addition, DC negatives should probably also be bonded to the RV chassis in one place.

Do NOT connect the neutral and safety ground (PE) at the Multi output. That's done either internally by the ground relay while inverting or via the service entrance connection. Making another neutral to safety ground connection anywhere in the system violates the "one place only" rule and risks safety issues.

Yes you get warnings if the Multi's internal ground relay fails.

Victron has an excellent guide to wiring called Wiring Unlimited:

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Wiring-Unlimited-EN.pdf

Recommended reading.

0 Likes 0 ·
klann avatar image klann Kevin Windrem commented ·

Thank you very much for your help Kevin!

0 Likes 0 ·