question

ettienne avatar image
ettienne asked

MultiPlus II Battery type selection

I need help please with Ve Configure battery type selection when using Allgand Gel VRLA 200ah batteries. I have the MultiPlus II 48/3000 and are using 4 200ah batteries in series. I guess I am not able to use one of the pre configure battery types but am not sure how to retrieve the correct data from the data sheets of the batteries used.

Multiplus-II
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

you use the VE config to set the parameters you will then need to get that info from the battery suppler or take a close enough guess that you are comfortable with

15 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ettienne avatar image ettienne commented ·

Hi Paul. I understand that I need to use VE config to input the values but I have difficulty understanding where to get all the input values required from the data sheet supplied by manufacturer.

0 Likes 0 ·
Anil Ghatikar avatar image Anil Ghatikar ettienne commented ·

Somebody might help if you post the datasheet or link to the website . for GEL VRLA it is not that difficult

You will need Max charging current, float and absorb voltages

if the attached datasheet is for a same battery then values in brackets apply

Charging current typically C10 so for 200 AH it will be 20 amp ( 30 AMP max)

The float will be in the range of 54. to 55.2 ( 54 V)

Absorb will be 56.4 to 57.6 (56.4 V)

If in doubt you can set lower values of the range to get you going till you find the correct values from supplier

0 Likes 0 ·
200-ah.jpg (82.7 KiB)
ettienne avatar image ettienne Anil Ghatikar commented ·

Thank you very much for the useful information Anil. The batteries I use is the 6-CNFJ-200 12V 200ah. I made the adjustment and I have set the Max charging Amp to 30A, Float to 54V and Absorb to 56.4V. Is there other values (Battery related) that I need to verify and change?

0 Likes 0 ·

if you are not using the BMV then on Veconfigure on General TAB

Set Battery AH to 200 . Other figures can be left at default.

I would suggest starting with Battery type as GEL MK and then changing only the Float absorb and charge currents so other values are optimized for GEL

0 Likes 0 ·

Thank you Anil for the advice. I really appreciate it.

0 Likes 0 ·

Would you suggest I set the charging amp to 20A or 30A or somewhere in between Anil?

0 Likes 0 ·

Based on the datasheet better to use 20 Amps as 30 Amps is max - In general lower the current better the charge retention as the heat production is less and battery will be happier. In general, absorb and float voltages will decide the final charge stage. If you want to maximize solar production and are running ignore AC then choose 30 amps but in normal mode 20 amps is better as the grid will mostly do the charging

0 Likes 0 ·
boekel avatar image boekel ♦ Anil Ghatikar commented ·

And be sure to use a temperature sensor on the batteries so the Multi knows it's temperature.

0 Likes 0 ·
ettienne avatar image ettienne boekel ♦ commented ·

Thank you for the advice Boekel. I have the MultiPlus II and the Venus GX. So I need to get a sensor that will link to the Venus?

0 Likes 0 ·

The Battery temp sensor should have come in the box. See attached pages from manual

0 Likes 0 ·
batt-temp-sensor.jpg (270.5 KiB)
sensor-temp.jpg (497.4 KiB)
sensor-image.jpg (12.6 KiB)

I did not receive any of these with my MultiPlus II. I went to double check because it is a new unit and I only opened the box last week. Thank you for the information Anil

0 Likes 0 ·

Could you please give me advice how to calculate the correct Voltage for the DC input low shut-down and DC input restart on the Inverter tab in VE Configure

0 Likes 0 ·

You are fine with the default value of 43.6 for shutdown the input restart is minimum 4 Volts higher than shutdown

You can set it lower if you want to maximize the Capacity or higher if you don't want to drain the battery till the last drop

See the discharge curve for the battery at C10 rate ( 10H) the min value is 1.6 * 6 * 4 = 38.4 V equivalent to 20.69 hours of runtime

and max is 1.85 * 6 * 4 = 44.V equivalent to 18.96 Hours P.S: for Lead-acid it is advisable to cycle the battery to 50 % SOC ( 100-50 and then recharge) or even better 70 % SOC for longer life of the battery

But that is a design choice based on your load, Budget and the value derived from the availability of power

In your case, it means 1000 watt continuous load for 5 hours or inversely 200 AH X 50 = 10kWH *50 % = 5 KWH Max energy use before the battery should be recharged

0 Likes 0 ·

Thank you for the info Anil. I had it totally wrong. I thought that my 50% SOC is 12,2V per battery chart so (12,2V x4) = 48,8V.

0 Likes 0 ·

Thank you for the advice Anil. I will set it at 20amp for now.

0 Likes 0 ·