question

arjanm avatar image
arjanm asked

Possibility of disabling MPPT (MPP Tracking) in the Victron Solar Charge Controllers

Hi there power warriors,

Does anyone know if it is possible to disable MPP Tracking in the Victron Solar Charge Controllers? My best guess that the answer is "No", but one can always ask.

I can imagine that my question raises another question namely "Why would someone want do that for heavens sake?". Well, here's why: I want to build a 'Victron Only' PV / home storage installation controlled by a Homey Pro domotics controller. And why do this with Victron? Quite simple: quality, eco-system, transparency, technical information/documentation and a diversity of GX- or VenusOS-based solutions. But the problem is that I want to use DC-DC conversion from the solar panels to the home storage battery (of course) and therefore are going to use a Victron Solar Charge Controller. And if I use the Victron Solar Charge Controller I cannot use Optimizers/Booster (like the ones from Tigo) with my solar panels to control and monitor them. Because then we would have two captains on the ship and that is not going to work so I have read. So that is is the reason I would like to disable the tracking. If this would be possible or made possible then the well known inverter brands can eat their hearts out!

But maybe I am missing something here so I am open to other ideas and/or points-of-view.

Regards,

Arjan.

MPPT ControllersMPPT SmartSolar
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

It us slightly more complex than just not tracking. Because tigos buck boost current, and the victron mppts work under a certain short circuit rating (amongst other concerns). Sizing would be interesting.

Are you just wanting to energy meter the production? I assume that is all you want from the victron mppt since the tracking is not wanted?

Edited: another thought, there are plenty of string inverters ( that can use the tigos) and can be intergrated into the victron ecosystem already, so it makes sense to go with those.

0 Likes 0 ·
arjanm avatar image arjanm Alexandra ♦ commented ·
Thanks for taking the time to reply... What I want is DC-DC conversion (solarpanel to battery charging) and the possibility to monitor/optimize the panels. Using the normal string inverters which indeed are plenty available actually makes no sense because then we have a conversion to AC which means loss. It makes no sense to do a conversion to AC and from AC back to DC. The only big name products that I found that can do direct 48V DC charging are the SolarEdge StorEdge and .the SMA Sunny Island + Sunny Island Charger. The last one is an expensive solution.
0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
pulquero avatar image
pulquero answered ·

Here is a possibility. You could use link/network mode to feed voltage/current data to the charger to put it into float charging, then it's not tracking anymore.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

arjanm avatar image arjanm commented ·
Thanks! As I am a little bit new when it comes to configuring Victron hardware, could you tell me what unit is feeding voltage/current data to the charger?

Regards,

Arjan.

0 Likes 0 ·
pulquero avatar image pulquero arjanm commented ·

Software! You can use the VE direct protocol to send the values via software.

1 Like 1 ·
arjanm avatar image arjanm pulquero commented ·
Thanks, we will look into that...
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

MPPT Product Page

MPPT Error codes

MPPT 150/60 up to 250/70 Manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic