question

denis-roy avatar image
denis-roy asked

Multiplus 3000 and second DC output

I would like to know why, on this diagram (https://www.victronenergy.fr/upload/documents/MultiPlus-3KW-120VAC-12VDC-400Ah-Li-VEBus-BMS-generator-MPPT-BMV-Cerbo-Orion- Tr-Smarts.pdf), the dc outputs 2 are connected to the lithium battery bus and the starter battery is connected to a small charger. According to the specifications of the multiplus 3000, the dc output 2 is intended for a starter battery and only produces a current of 4a. So, why not use output 2 for the startup bank?
MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·
The second output follows the charge profile of the internal charge profile.

Lead and Lithium have different needs.

And it is just an example demonstrating product configuration and uses possibilities not necessarily the only way it can be done.

0 Likes 0 ·
denis-roy avatar image denis-roy Alexandra ♦ commented ·
I understand that it is therefore not possible to program 2 different charge profiles. As my configuration is similar (lead and lithium), is there an advantage to connect the second output to lithium bank other than providing an additional 4a?
0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ denis-roy commented ·
No point. The normal output connections will give full power to the lithium bank.
0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ denis-roy commented ·

That 4A output is not a dedicated charging output, it is just connected to the normal DC bus through some electronics.

Additionally that output is always active. If the voltage at the main DC bus is higher than the voltage at the 4A output there will be a current flow.

With a lithium battery at the main DC bus and a lead battery at the 4A output there will always be a small current flow from the lithium battery to the lead battery because the lithium battery has a slightly higher resting voltage.

0 Likes 0 ·
0 Answers