question

beov44 avatar image
beov44 asked

Smartsolar MPPT 450/100 seeing BYD premium battery as full when it’s not

Hi Everyone,

First, Happy holidays, wherever you are I hope that you are spending a wonderful time.

I have 2 Smartsolar MPPT 450/100 connected to 2 BYD premium batteries. Batteries aren’t nearly full but one of the MPPTs are seeing them as full and is not charging while the other MPPT is charging. The only difference I see between the 2 MPPTs is that one sees the battery voltage a little over 57 and the other MPPT sees it as 52.7. I have updated the firmware and tried to restart the system but it didn’t resolve the problem. Would be grateful for input on how to resolve it since with only 1 MPPT charging, we are risking depleting the batteries in the next days.

Thanks,

Bettina

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Guessing that the battery not charging is the one reading 57V. Please confirm.

Would help if you posted the charger settings from both of the MPPTs

Can you check these voltages with a meter?

And consider switching the batteries to see if the problem changes sides.

What is the input voltage to each MPPT?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

beov44 avatar image
beov44 answered ·

@kevgermany, thank you for your response. We started to check the voltages with a meter and discovered the voltage increased through a thermal circuit breaker. We reset it and the voltages normalized and the MPPT started to charge the battery.

Thank you so much for your swift reply!

1 comment
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Good to hear. Those thermal circuit breakers can give a lot of problems. Often low quality and very inaccurate. Might be worth replacing with midi or mega fuses. And suitable DC circuit breakers.
0 Likes 0 ·