question

graham avatar image
graham asked

Problem Pair of Multi 12/2500/120 – Inverter takes the whole load with the generator running

Electrical setup:

Pair of Multiplus 12/2500/120 in parallel

Mase 5.7kW generator, both manual and auto start

600Ah Battery bank

External Transfer switch mounted in what looks like a Victron AC transfer box

All controlled by a VE.NET system

I was asked to change the charging parameters. When I downloaded the existing settings although the two Multipluses were wired in parallel and connected together by a communication cable (not RJ45) no selection had been made in the setting for Master, so as part of the changes I selected the Multiplus that was wired as the master to have 1 slave.

The charging changes went OK and operated.

As part of the normal testing I tested all of the systems for operation and discovered that with the generator running and a nominal 1500W AC load that the load was being powered from the Inverter not the generator (see picture Will VENET display).The DC load at the time where order of 2 or 3A.

Power Assist was set to on with a scaling factor of 2.

The problem is that the Multipluses had not have gone into Power Assist and should not have been power the AC load of 1500W and even by altering the scaling factor to 1 or 3.5 the other alternatives the Multipluses continued to take the whole AC load as if the generator was not running. The only way I could stop it was to turn Power Assist off.

This is an all electric boat AC cooking etc and relies on the generator for cooking etc and if the cooking etc is using the 600Ah of battery they will not last very long. What is happening could explain the owner’s problems that his batteries never seem to get fully charged.

To assist I include photos showing the settings of the master Multiplus, in the photo power assist is turn off but was turned on with a scaling of 2 for the tests.

Is this a set-up problem or what ?? Help

inverter current draw
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
boekel avatar image
boekel answered ·

Hi @Graham

Is this the document you are looking for?
https://www.victronenergy.com/live/multiplus_faq

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

graham avatar image graham commented ·

Boekel I think it well might be, thank you :)

Pity I can't give you an accept for finding the document :) I don't know if the admins can do something about giving you an accept for me

0 Likes 0 ·
boekel avatar image boekel ♦ graham commented ·

you can now ;)

0 Likes 0 ·
graham avatar image graham boekel ♦ commented ·

Boekel :) Done and thanks again. Could not find it when I hunted

0 Likes 0 ·
graham avatar image
graham answered ·

Paul B Sorry it is correctly installed, it has got the correct cables as supplied by Victron as for installing the latest firmware I am not aware of any for it. These date back to order of 2006.

The whole system is Victron boxes correctly connected together. This is a problem with mating a generator and the pair on Multipluses. There are known problems with doing this, somewhere there might even be some Victron notes on it, but I cannot find them.

The connection between the two Multipluses is via an IDC plug and socket on the main PCBs. This unit is pre the use of an RJ45 socket being used for the inter unit connection

2 |3000

porcini avatar image
porcini answered ·

Have you tried to disable the UPS function and enabling the dynamic current limiter?

The new settings have been written to both MPs?

1 comment
2 |3000

graham avatar image graham commented ·

Not tried that at this time when I was there it was meant to be a simple charging parameter change - the boat is some 200 miles away and I was looking for the information that Boekel has kindly found for me. A return trip is planned for 2nd June.

Thank you for the heads up

0 Likes 0 ·
waz avatar image
waz answered ·

Hi Graham

I have a Phoenix multiplus 12/2500/120, firmware 1802145.HEX , apparently not ve compatible , but i see in the photos you are using some kind on software on a laptop , may i ask what software you are using and how i could obtain it please,

I have made a post with my problem

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/44888/122500120-relay-or-something-similar-switching-on.html

Thanks Waz

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic