question

roger-1 avatar image
roger-1 asked

Multiplus II shuts down for no apparent reason about 15 min in from scheduled charge.

3 x LiFePO4 48v x 16s connected by two wire Can bus to cerbo gx running latest firmware v2.92. Multiplex II 5000/48/70-50 updated to v500.

battery spec as follows

Termination Charged Voltage 58.4 (3.65V/cell)

Discharge cut-off. 40V

Nominal voltage 48V

Nominal Capacity. 120Ah. @ 0.5C

Max charge/discharge 100A

Recommended Inverter settings

Bulk 58.4V; Absorption 58V; Float 57.6; Shutdown 48V; Restart 49V; charge voltage 57.6 - 58.4

The Cerbo GX detects the batteries as LG Chem resu and did charge ok with those default settings but to only 79% . The default settings are lower than those recommended for the actual batteries (listed above). I deselected the LG Chem to no specific battery, left the selection on the generic LiFeP04 with canbus support (not the two wire) as it does read the battery fine.

I then set absorption to 58V and float to 57V. No DVCC (never been selected).
ESS assistant loaded. Optimised without battery life. Battery monitor turned off (did note that battery storage capacity defaults to 10Ah which you cant change without switching on the battery monitor so assume its not used when canbus is used).
scheduled charged set for 23.00 for 6hrs duration. Started charging up to about 69A the shut down after approx. 15mins. Battery to idle and Multiplus OFF. I switched on the Multiplus remotely and it started charging again. Left it and went to bed. In the morning can see it shut down again after a further 15 mins or so. No alarms, no errors I can see. See graphs below. The two charging steps are clear then Multiplus off until I switched it on again in the morning.

All I can think of is the charging current was very close go the 70A limit. Coss the Multiplus shut down if the 70A is exceeded?

0425d719-eba9-4a6a-891b-bbeaf8b348c9.png.

Multiplus-II
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

70A is a charge limitation it won’t shut down if you hit it.

More likely your bms is having kittens and taking the system with it, possibly due to cell imbalances.

Often par for the course when you go off piste with batteries. Perhaps adjust your maximums down and look more deeply into what the bms is up to - min/max cell voltages etc.

Good luck.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

John Leslie avatar image
John Leslie answered ·

Consider setting your initial charge limit settings lower and 'creep up' on maximum as a way to determine your system's (as-installed-before-further-modifications) practical stability limits.

Consider enabling DVCC to put your battery BMS in control of the charge profile and set your manufacturer's charge profile there.

2 |3000