question

bill8765 avatar image
bill8765 asked

I want to raise the amount of electricity I generate in the winter on a budget

Currently I have a single 270w solar panel connected to a smart solar 100/20 charge controller. This is then connected to 4 leisure batteries connected in parallel. At the moment (winter in England) I am hardly getting any power due to clouds and short days. Can I just buy and attach another solar panel to double the amount I get? Would I connect it in parallel It would be overkill for the summer but helpful for the winter.

I know this question might seem a bit basic but I just wanted to make sure before I spend a bunch of money on another panel.

Solar Panel
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @bill8765

Yes you can do this. Just try to get a panel very similar in specs, particularly Vmp and Imp.

You may find it easier to just string them in series (just the wiring), but check you don't exceed the Voc limit. If in parallel the Isc limit. A calculator for you to play with.. https://mppt.victronenergy.com/

It might recommend a bigger unit, but the 100/20 will still work, and cap at 20A.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic