question

ctsit avatar image
ctsit asked

Multiplus II 3000 48v

Hi all,

I want to buy a 3000 multiplus ii 48v that:

1. Will be connected to the grid in AC in through a simple cable plugged to a schuko plug.

2. Will be connected to a set of batteries

3. The batteries can be charged either through a smart solar charger and PV

4. Or through the ac in of the inverter.

I've read that the inverter can send excess power to the grid which in this case I don't want to do.

So what I want to do is the multiplus to operate as a simple UPS in the sense that it will not send power back to the grid and only consume power first from the batteries and when they reach 20% switch to the grid.

Will that be possible ?

And if yes could you suggest what to read to achieve it?

Multiplus-II
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

Feedback to the grid only happens with ESS, but you do not need that and in fact can not use it since you are plugging in the the grid rather than hard wiring.

The normal behavior prioritizes grid over battery/solar power however you can use an "assistant" to ignore the AC input until your target SOC is reached. Assistants require the Windows-only veconfig app (can't add them via VictronConnect).

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ctsit avatar image ctsit commented ·

That is correct, I DONT want to feed back to the grid even if I hard wire my multiplus.

Regarding the "assistance", and apologies for my ignorance since I am starting to learn about solar now, what does it refers to?

What I want to achieve is the following:

1. I will have 2 550w solar panels in series, connected to the Victron 150/45 mppt charger connected to two busbars (positive and negative both labeled as A for simplicity)

2. I will have a Multiplus ii 3000 48v connected to busbars A and the AC in connected to a schuko plug or maybe later to one of the circuit breakers of the main electrical panel of the house.

3. I will have have a Power Queen 48v 100ah battery connected to busbars A

4. I will have in place all the necessary fuses and interrupts to protect the system and those that work on it.

What I want to achieve is the loads that are connected to the AC out of the inverter to be powered always by the battery unless the battery reaches 20% in which case I want the inverter to switch to the AC in.

This way I will maximise battery and therefore solar usage.

I know that Growatt has similar functionality.

0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem ctsit commented ·

Here is info on assistants:

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/assistants:start

You'll need a combination of assistants. Some use the generator start/stop assistant to detect SOC limits, then connect that to another assistant to ignore the AC input.

There are other posts on the forum that have done this and may provide better guidance than I can.

You can also use the "Virtual Switch" if you don't need other assistants.

There is also this article:

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/assistants:ignore_ac_input_using_the_generator_assistant

0 Likes 0 ·
ctsit avatar image ctsit Kevin Windrem commented ·
Thank you so much for the feedback.

0 Likes 0 ·