question

pyrorider avatar image
pyrorider asked

Connecting Multiplus II 48/5000 with 5x16mm2 for AC

Hi, I have to connect my Multiplus II 48/5000 with one 5x16mm2 wire for AC-In and Out but the datasheet says the terminals only take 13mm2 which is a really weird size as 10 and 16mm2 are the existing sizes for wires. Is it still possible to get a 16mm2 wire in the ac clamp?

Multiplus-II
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
pedaaa avatar image
pedaaa answered ·

yes, 16mm² does fit.

But make sure to use square ferrule crimping, and not overtorque the connector screws!

see latest multiplus II manual, it has been corrected from 13mm² to show 16mm² now

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

pyrorider avatar image pyrorider commented ·
Thank you, thats the answer I am looking for.
0 Likes 0 ·
djsmiley avatar image
djsmiley answered ·

I don't see the need for 16mm2. Even 6mm2 would be sufficient since 5000VA is only 21A. So 16mm2 is probably only required for a very long cable run.
You can consider an external terminal block to terminate the 16mm2 and connect the MP with a short 10mm2. For example the Phoenix Contact series UT16 or similar: https://www.phoenixcontact.com/en-pc/products/feed-through-terminal-block-ut-16-3044199

You also can add a breaker and use that as wire gauge converter as well.
A slightly more dirty solution is removing some strands to make it fit.

However, I would check with your local regulations if its even allowed. Many forbid the mixed use of a wire with separate circuits (Which you are doing by using 2 wires for input and 2 for output in the same wire)

5 comments
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
5000VA is the transformer rating. Passthru is potentially much higher.
1 Like 1 ·
pyrorider avatar image pyrorider commented ·

As I said, there is a need for the 16mm2. I am using the Multiplus with the 50A Transferswitch so I need to size the cable for the full 50A. Then I need the 5x16mm2 because I am using 2 wires for the ac in and 2 for the ac out, which together with the length of the cable leads to the need for 16mm2 (I am an electrician and calculated this according to be in compliance with our VDE rules).

There is no option for another terminal block as the 5x16 already is the last meter piece between the terminal block and the multiplus.

Before I start removing strands I'd rather use pin-cable-shoes which are the proper way without sizing down the mm2.

As I said I planned the entire setup according to our local regulations and the in and out are the same circuit. When power goes out there are additional safety measures so the ac in cant ever backfeed into the grid when power is gone

0 Likes 0 ·
Michelle Konzack avatar image Michelle Konzack pyrorider commented ·
You say "VDE rules" which mean your are in Germany. Since I am Elektomechaniker Meister (HWK München und Ob) This setup is FORBIDDEN.

IT IS NOT ALLOWED to have a cable whic have IN and OUT conductors in the same time.

By German regulations you must install 2 seperate cables, especially if you want to pass trough 50A and it comes to an incident (short circuit, fire, etc). The insurance will definitiv refuse to pay anything.

This risk is it not worth

1 Like 1 ·
pedaaa avatar image pedaaa Michelle Konzack commented ·
i totally agree:

16mm² -> yes

AC-in + AC-out with one 5x16mm² -> nogo

0 Likes 0 ·
pyrorider avatar image pyrorider Michelle Konzack commented ·
Great, so now I throw away all the 16mm2 stuff I bought and use 2 10mm2 cables and buy a ton of 10mm2 stuff because as everybody knows, money grows on trees :)
0 Likes 0 ·