question

daviddembell avatar image
daviddembell asked

Skylla charger settings

Dear Victron community experts,
we have a 24V system (LiFePo4, 800Ah) installed with a quattro and a Skylla TG charger ( model: 24/50 TG 230V). The reason of this setup was to able charging the battery when the camp side circuit breaker only allowed 6A input current. (The quattro minimal shore power current limit is 10A). In the system there are parallell loads connected to the battery. My questions are the followings (only the skylla charger has input connection):
1) When the equalization stage timer expires the charger change the charging mode to float-charging. In the float-charging stage what happened if the battery voltage decrease to the float voltage level due to excessive loads? Is the Skylla able to maintain the float voltage level by increasing the output current (of course, taking into account the maximum current 50A)? What is the float-charging mode output current limit?
2) If during normal operation of the charger the battery could be discharged below the float voltage level could we use not controlled permanent boost mode as a power supply with adjusted boost voltage level about 26,9-27V?

Thanks in advance for your reply!

Skylla
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
echidna avatar image
echidna answered ·

Regarding the AC current limit for the Quattro, I have some Quattros (48/10000) purchased about a year ago, with recent firmware and a Digital Multi Control connected. Despite what the manual says, I can set the AC current limit with the DMC from 0.5A upwards in 0.5A increments at the low end of the range (larger increments at higher currents0. The Quattro indeed honors the set level down to the lowest 0.5A setting when charging the batteries (it is not very accurate at the lowest currents).

Has there been some unannounced upgrade, not reflected in the manuals, etc.?

At the same time, I have some Multiplus II 48/3000/120VAC, and these cannot be set to such low currents.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Skylla-IP65 product page (12v, 24v)

Skylla-i product page (24v)

Skylla-TG Charger product page (24v, 48v)

Skylla-TG GMDSS product page (24v)

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic