question

miltonmews avatar image
miltonmews asked

Multiplus II 24/5000 Shoreline current

Hi.

I am trying to workout the rating for the supply cable and shoreline plug socket for the Multiplus II 24/5000. The maximum input rating is said to be 50 Amps and maximum charging current of 120 Amps. What i do not understand is what is the normal current draw on the shoreline power supply. Will the charge current always be 50 Amps? Unlikely.

My currently supply MCB is at 24Amps. My batteries are 225 AH at 24 V.

Do i need a supply cable rated to 50 Amps?

Do i need to use the Victron 64 Amp inlet socket and galvanic isolator.

Thank you for any help on this.

Sean

Multiplus-IIinput current
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·

What AC voltage?

0 Likes 0 ·
miltonmews avatar image miltonmews kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
230V AC and based in France. Thank you Kevgermany.
0 Likes 0 ·
4 Answers
djsmiley avatar image
djsmiley answered ·

Depends on your settings. If you want to be able to charge with the full 120A you need around 3000W of input power. That would require a 16A hookup when using 230/240V. Based on your 'shoreline' and '50A rated' i'm not sure if you have 240V, or only 110/115V. In those case you need to double-up the ratings.

Also, these don't include any running loads. So if you want to power the loads as well, while maintaining the 120A charge you're going to need more. With a 64A socket you're good, but I don't know if thats available everywhere. I would suggest fitting a 64A socket (based on 110/115), and have the adaptor cables to connect to lower shoreline hookups as well.
With the Multi control or the bluetooth dongle you can adjust the shore input power so you don't overload a smaller shoreline. (the Multiplus will reduce the charge current if needed, and/or will assist the loads so the shoreline is not exceeding the set amps)

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

miltonmews avatar image
miltonmews answered ·

Hi DJSmiley

Thanks for your reply.

I am on a 230 V supply.

So 16 Amps therefore I’ll upgrade to 32 Amps, which is much higher than my shoreline MCB, at the moment. Great also that you mention i can adjust the current draw to prevent tripping the supply.

Great response.

Sean

2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

There are two sizes of CEE plug for 230V single phase, 16A and 32A. Both blue. They're not interchangeable. You really need the 32A feed for your multi. The red ones are 400V three phase, but you will be limited to a single phase, so it's a poor option.

Not sure what the marinas will have, so suggest you get a 32A as you have decided, but also an adapter so you can plug into 16A. Cables must be rated for 32A so a minimum of 4mm2. Don't forget the galvanic isolator.

If you set the input current as @DJSmiley said and it's inadequate for loads, power assist kicks in and supplements from your batteries.

1 comment
2 |3000

miltonmews avatar image miltonmews commented ·
Thank you KevGermany. Great advice
0 Likes 0 ·
djsmiley avatar image
djsmiley answered ·
Fully agree, you need the 32A CEE. And can use an adaptor cable for the smaller 16A CEE (and need to adjust the current to 16A to prevent tripping of the breaker).

On hookups with a 32A connection you can use the full 32A off course

2 |3000

Related Resources

MultiPlus-II Product page 

MultiPlus-II Manual

MultiPlus-II 230V Datasheet 

VE.Bus Error codes

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic