question

alex-van avatar image
alex-van asked

Can I replace solar panel cables, or it will damege my warranty?

Victron blue power solar panels 175W/ 12V

Cables in those panels are 4mm and 90cm in length, so is not good for me. I would like to replace them for ticker and longer, but is this damage my warranty?

Solar Panel
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

Better to just connect longer and possibly heavier cables using the MC4 plugs already fitted. These connectors are only rated for 30A, so unless you need the thicker cable to reduce losses on long cables, 4mm2 is sufficient on the panel.

You'll only get higher than this current with many panels in parallel. You can't increase current through a panel. Better to reduce current and increase voltage by building a system with panels in series or series/parallel configuration.

From your question, I'd suggest you talk to someone with more experience.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

alex-van avatar image
alex-van answered ·

Thanks for answering, that quickly.

But still I would like to know, will I be able to do basic things like changing the cable without damaging my warranty, with simple answer (Y/N) .

And yes I would like to avoid loses because of the length of cable, and also I'm not fan of connection - just continuous lengths only- No suprise that way. You never know if the connection will end up in some unwanted place. Less connection less losses, less chance of damages. Simply...

Sooooo...

Y/ N?

3 comments
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
For questions about warranty, please talk to your dealer.

For me you want to exchange an imaginary problem that doesn't exist, with a real one.

2 Likes 2 ·
christern avatar image christern commented ·
N…
0 Likes 0 ·
christern avatar image christern christern commented ·
But maybe you would want a reason? And not just a Y/N?

Don’t know exactly how your panels look like and how the cables are connected but if you i.e. remove a lid and unscrew the existing cables and replace them with your new (what you would call “better”) you most likely void your warranty.

How come? The manufacturer might say that your cables are not good enough - and they could be right!

Most panels are connected using several cables connected and why would you not do the same? Talk to someone who knows what this is about and that person could tell you what to do.

Connections pose a risk, yes, but the right ones, connected the right way, will not increase the risk compared to your alternative.

Just my two cents (or was it three? ;-) )

1 Like 1 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

less chance of damages.

Opening up a sealed junction box?

1 comment
2 |3000

alex-van avatar image alex-van commented ·

Yes, job no bigger than changing socket in any home appliance.

It's just CABLE, but people here talk about like it is some sort of science.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic