question

nigelcharles avatar image
nigelcharles asked

Overtemp warnings Multiplus II 3000

I recently installed a Multiplus II 3000. It is installed in a well ventilated location. Running it at 2250W continuously with an ambient temperature of 0degC, after a period of time (about 30-40 minutes), it generates overtemp warnings and then cuts off for a period of time before resetting. This is well below the rated capability in the datasheet (2400W @25degC). I also have a 10kw (8kw continuous) Quattro running in the same location which has no problem at 25degC. I suspect that there is a problem with this particular unit. I have asked my retailer to raise an RMA with Victron. Any comments appreciated.

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

offroadflow avatar image offroadflow commented ·
Do you hear the fans running?
0 Likes 0 ·
3 Answers
nigelcharles answered ·

The single fan does run. I think that it looks inadequate for the task. It is positioned below and to the right side of the toroidal transformer. The left side gets little airflow.

4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
My experience of the 3kVA was that it would derate a bit too swiftly and didn't seem to live up to it's specs - that said we are in a warmer climate, but nonetheless..

It was also our conclusion that the airflow through the unit wasn't great. A friend actually crafted a DIY extraction cowling which sits at the top and helps pull air through - it helped a lot with improving performance.

I would almost bet that if you removed the front cover it would improve (safety issues aside, that is).

1 Like 1 ·
offroadflow avatar image offroadflow nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
If you remove the front cover you actually influence the airflow of the built in van(s), meaning you could even lose cooling in the upper part of the inverter if air escapes through the opening in the front.

The idea with an ext fan pulling air through the inverter from the top is much better.

Did the same with my inverters to make sure they stay under 45°C inside. Works perfectly...

0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ offroadflow commented ·

Prepare to be amazed ;)

94d344b6-cb59-4adb-acaf-5a19cd31680a.jpeg

1 Like 1 ·

Good job!

My version is with two multiplus mounted in a sandwich container, so I cut out the wall and mounted for each inverter a fan outside in a junction box, sucking out the air through them, hooked onto an electronic thermostat with the sensor mounted inside the inverter on the main heatsink.

0 Likes 0 ·
nigelcharles answered ·

I my view it is not acceptable to get overtemp warnings leading to shutdown at 6degC whilst running at 2.25kw.

In my particular application the inverter is in an unheated outbuilding. In summer the interior temperature can get hotter than that outside so it is better to blow cooling air in from the bottom of the unit sourcing air from outside rather than sucking air through the case.

My plan is to use 204mm x 60mm ducting and a bilge blower fan. The ducting size matches the air inlet grills on the underside of the inverter almost exactly. The blower is capable of 235cfm so should provide plenty of cooling air.

1 comment
2 |3000

offroadflow avatar image offroadflow commented ·
In the end you'd need to contact a local dealer to dig yourself through the official process to maybe in the end have to send the unit in.

And if they think all's OK you pay for the whole procedure.

If the fan is running rather loud then it's working. If it's just a bit blowing something's off...

0 Likes 0 ·
nigelcharles answered ·

The fan isn't particularly loud and as other users say that it is normally loud your comment might have identified the problem. I will investigate this further. Thanks for your input.

2 comments
2 |3000

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
The fan is actually quieter at full taps than it is at partial power, on the older units, due to the PWM driver that pulses the fan below full rpm.
0 Likes 0 ·
Then there you have the flaw...
0 Likes 0 ·