question

rubicon avatar image
rubicon asked

Are ferrules commonly used?

I’m getting ready to install a Multi Plus 3K and Cerbo GX system. I’m using Ancor ferrules on all the battery terminals. Is it a best practice to use ferrules on all other stranded wire connections such as the main in and out?

wiring
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
jkmann avatar image
jkmann answered ·

Yes, it's common to use ferrules for those connections and required in some locations.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

rubicon avatar image rubicon commented ·
Thank you! Do you prefer square ferrules?
0 Likes 0 ·
Wayne avatar image
Wayne answered ·

Distributor / Installer for New Zealand, We use ferrules on all our installations

5 comments
2 |3000

rubicon avatar image rubicon commented ·
Thank you! Do you prefer square?
0 Likes 0 ·
ahtrimble avatar image ahtrimble rubicon commented ·
The shape depends on the connection recepticle, some square, some round.
0 Likes 0 ·
rubicon avatar image rubicon ahtrimble commented ·
If we’re purchasing only one for Victron equipment, what style of crimper would you recommend - square or round/hex?
0 Likes 0 ·
mdilger avatar image mdilger rubicon commented ·

I use a square crimp as this, in my opinion, suits the Victron terminals best. Also, this the shape of the tool in the crimping tool that I already had in my kit.

0 Likes 0 ·
rubicon avatar image rubicon mdilger commented ·

I am getting ready to purchase a crimper and prefer to purchase one quality tool vs two cheap tools… I’ll definitely go with a square one for my install.

0 Likes 0 ·
millalien avatar image
millalien answered ·

It’s been suggested that ferrules should not be used on the spring loaded Multiplus AC connectors since it’s the ferrule that’s gripped by the connector, the wire can pull out of the ferrule, thus leaving the ferrule embedded in the spring loaded connector.

I suppose that assumes the possibility of a mechanical connection failure by the ferrule when it’s installed on the wire. I’d think that a pull-out force on a properly installed ferrule is more than the pull-out force on the Multiplus spring load.

Best practices on this?

2 |3000

sharpener avatar image
sharpener answered ·

IMHO ferrules are good on fine multi-strand wires, as they protect the individual strands from mechanical damage/breakage. With cables like 7-strand 10mm^2 I don't think they are so useful as the 7 strands provide up to 7 independent points of contact with the terminal as against 2 with a ferrule.

2 |3000

Related Resources