question

alan-w avatar image
alan-w asked

RpiGpioSetup help

I have installed Kevin Windrem Package Manager and then downloaded and installed RpiGpioSetup. I have a Waveshare 3 relay HAT for my Rpi4, relay 3 operated as if it were relay 1. After some reading I found Kevin had created a list that sets up the Gpio of the Rpi. I downloaded the zip file and opened the Gpio_list in notepad to align with my relay HAT. I can find the file path on my Rpi to were the modified file must go but no matter what I try I cant copy the file to that location.

Any help appreciated

modifications
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

You should be able to copy the file to /etc/venus/gpio_list

Note that this location is overwritten when Venus OS updates, so a battery place for a custom gpio_list file is /data/setupOptions/RpiGpioSetup/gpio_list.

When RpiGpioSetup's setup script runs, it checks for that custom file and uses it instead of the default. So when Venus OS updates, the setup script will move it into the necessary location.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

alan-w avatar image
alan-w answered ·

Thank you Kevin I did manage the navigate to /data/setupOptions/RpiGpioSetup using putty but I just couldn’t manage to drop in the modified Gpio_list which I had changed using notepad on a windows laptop. I did however name a file using the touch cmd

Thanks for all the great work you do

2 |3000

alan-w avatar image
alan-w answered ·

Update

I managed to transfer an updated gpio_list as a "txt" file using sftp / FileZilla but now the relay menu have dissapeared within VRM

2 |3000

alan-w avatar image
alan-w answered ·

ok I reinstalled RpiGpioSetup / changed round Header / BCM numbers around in the gpio_file all now is working both from VRM and Node Red

Thanks again Kevin for all the work you do

2 |3000

mapeje avatar image
mapeje answered ·

Is it possible to invert the output to the relays? My current 2 Relay Module is "ON" by default and the buttons in the GuiMod is reversed.

5 comments
2 |3000

Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem commented ·

GPIOs can be inverted with a device tree overlay, or code could be added to Venus OS to do that also. However the relays would activate at power up and remain active until the DT overlay executes or the Venus OS services were up and running.

0 Likes 0 ·
mike-donahue avatar image mike-donahue Kevin Windrem commented ·
I have the same problem. Is there a DT overlay in place that we could modify?

I have two boards. One is a HAT with 4 relays that work perfectly. Relay 5&6 are on a separate 2 relay board. Relays 5&6 are ON when the Venus device says that they are OFF.
0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem mike-donahue commented ·
Yes, probably. I install one to make all GPIOs used for digital inputs have pull-ups. You could add your own to deal with those two relays. Keep in mind however that the relays will close when the system powers up or is rebooted until the overlay loads.
0 Likes 0 ·
mike-donahue avatar image mike-donahue Kevin Windrem commented ·

That is totally fine if they close during a reboot. I just means some lights will turn on for a bit :)

What file do I edit?

Please and thank you!

0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem mike-donahue commented ·
You need to create and install a new device tree overlay. There is some information in RpiGpioSetup as well as the one that is supplied for that package that makes inputs have pull-ups. I don't know what you'd need to include in the overlay. Check online about device tree overlays. Or maybe someone else here can provide guidance.

The device tree overlay needs to be compiled so you'll need another unix machine with the compiler installed. I do this on a PI booted to Raspberry PI OS then copy the file over.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Experiments, Modifications and Adaptions. Mods (Modifications) can be made to Victron Software by the Community. Please use the modifications space for enthusiasts who want to push what is possible, without official Victron Support.