question

jonathan-drewes avatar image
jonathan-drewes asked

MPPT -- 10s period dips, not the 10m ones...

Challenge question----

I know about the expected 10min MPPT output dips we see due to the re-peaking of the MPPT, but I also have these every 10s or so. Very periodic, always the same frequency.

I dont always see this, especially when power is lower.

Its not the connections, as far as I can tell. Its not perfectly timed clouds. Not some bird messing with me on the roof.

I have a 250/60 unit with 3S2P making about 130V. Firmware is current.

Is this normal?

10s-solar-dips-when-clear-sky.png

MPPT ControllersMPPT SmartSolar
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Jonathan Drewes

The tracking usually happens on the PV voltage. So not the same graph as the one you are looking at. You are possibly about to enter or are in absorption stage there maybe? So constant voltage lower current. I assume you have no other loads on the battery or system?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jonathan-drewes answered ·

No, these dips are seen in bulk, far from absorption. The 10min dips are seen in both the battery and PV current.

3 comments
2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

Do you have other loads on the battery or mppt?

0 Likes 0 ·
jonathan-drewes avatar image jonathan-drewes Alexandra ♦ commented ·
No, just the MPPT. Today, I have not had these occur. Its intermittent. I'm trying to discover some correlation with power.

Are there any examples of what the power vs. time will look like when there are various problems? I'd like to see what a bad connection point looks like (even though I believe mine are all good).

0 Likes 0 ·
jonathan-drewes avatar image jonathan-drewes Alexandra ♦ commented ·
Alexandra, did you have any other thoughts on this? Is this normal? Its still happening mostly when there is more power flowing. Thanks.
0 Likes 0 ·

Update -- these 10s dips still happen intermittently on my 250/60. I've added a 150/45 unit also for a while and it has never shown this behavior.

Is there a problem with the 250/60 unit I have? Anyone?

2 |3000

kai-fuchs avatar image
kai-fuchs answered ·

Can it be that this is the Search Intervall of your inverter sitting in eco mode?

It fits that you say it’s only in a low solar scenario, otherwise the MPPT would compensate it.

2 |3000

Eco mode is OFF and only one of 2 MPPTs do this.

Has anyone looked at the plot of MPPT power through Victron Connect in a 1s time interval and seen this?

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

MPPT Product Page

MPPT Error codes

MPPT 150/60 up to 250/70 Manual