question

weaselblade avatar image
weaselblade asked

Determining DVCC compatibility

The color control GX manual( ) says DVCC needs:

• VE.Can MPPTs with VE.Direct: v1.04

• Older style VE.Can MPPT Solar Chargers (with the screen) cannot be used: they do not support the new control mechanisms.

I have a smartsolar MPPT 150/85 - TR VE.can, pn SCC115085412, sn HQ2018C8MTL, v1.04.

(The system also has a couple smartsolar 100/20s, and a pair of 24/3000/70 Multiplus units.)

This unit has no screen, but it does have a blocking plate labelled 'display option'.

So, can it use DVCC or not? It would be extremely useful for my application, but I don't much want to buy a GX and then find DVCC doesn't work...

DVCC
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
snoobler avatar image
snoobler answered ·

If the SCC115085412 has VE.Direct port, then yes.

CCGX only has 2 VE.Direct ports, so you'll have 3 MPPT and 2 VE.Direct. You'll need:

https://www.victronenergy.com/accessories/ve-direct-to-usb-interface

What is your application for DVCC?

Do you have a shunt?

Do you have a temperature sensor?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

weaselblade avatar image
weaselblade answered ·

Excellent, thanks.

My system needs to power modest, primarily DC, loads through dark pacific northwest winters, without putting excessive amperage into the small(206AH 24V) LiFePo4 bank when it is sunny.

It also needs to power a 3/4hp irrigation pump for several hours at a time in summer, which can be timed for good solar input.. I am keen on the idea of DVCC allowing this substantial load to not interfere with battery charging, as would be the case with a fixed amperage limit set at the charge controller.

I have good exposures facing south east, and south through southwest; trees block that south/southwest exposure until about noon... Cloud cover is much more common to the south/southwest, so a mix of panel orientations seems worthwhile. Splitting the arrays between multiple controllers has been done for redundancy, and to allow the smaller arrays to be moved and used for other applications in summer..

I haven't bought a gx unit yet. Now that I am comparing, it looks like the Cerbo makes more sense.

I will include a shunt. The SOK batteries have temp protection, but I may build that in on the Victron side as well, not sure yet...

2 |3000

Related Resources